Some questions about prefixes

Questions about Wine on Linux
fsandefur
Level 1
Level 1

Some questions about prefixes

Post by fsandefur »

To start out, if I'm blind and I just haven't found the answer to the questions I'm about to pose, please just point me at the answers. That being said.....

So far, everything I've managed to find about wine prefixes all *assume* a level of familiarity with both the prefixes and Wine that I simply do not have. Even the FAQ about creating a 32-bit prefix on a 64-bit system (which is my goal by the way) just tosses out a command line and ignores a number of questions. like:

Do I need to have multiple installations of Wine itself to operate multiple prefixes?
Is it even possible to have multiple prefixes on one computer?
If I have multiple prefixes, How do I specify which one to install an application under?
What do I have to do, command line or desktop shortcut, to correctly invoke each application?

For specifics on my case, I am running a 64-bit Kubuntu 16.04 installation, I have Wine 1.9.13 dev branch installed from http://ppa.launchpad.net/wine/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main. I am, in fact running both World of Tanks and World of Warships through this set up, pretty much flawlessly.

What I *want* to do is install and run Star Trek Online (which is where the need for a 32-bit prefix comes in), and eventually add Defiance and The Secret World to my list.

To do that, I need to understand more about Wine, particularly prefixes. Answers to the questions i listed above would be absolutely great. Someone pointing me at some sort of tutorial to teach me these things would be beyond fantastic....

Help???
etwineb
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Some questions about prefixes

Post by etwineb »

fsandefur wrote: Do I need to have multiple installations of Wine itself to operate multiple prefixes?
No.
fsandefur wrote: Is it even possible to have multiple prefixes on one computer?
Yes, what it counts is the value of the environment variable WINEPREFIX when you start wine.
fsandefur wrote: If I have multiple prefixes, How do I specify which one to install an application under?
Yes, using the env variable.
fsandefur wrote: What do I have to do, command line or desktop shortcut, to correctly invoke each application?
WINEPREFIX=directory/name/full/path wine programname.exe
or make a small shell script.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

etwineb wrote:
fsandefur wrote: What do I have to do, command line or desktop shortcut, to correctly invoke each application?
WINEPREFIX=directory/name/full/path wine programname.exe
or make a small shell script.
Note that any menu items/desktop shortcuts created by winemenubuilder when you run an installer will contain the correct WINEPREFIX variable, so you won't have to use the command line once you've installed an app to a non-default wineprefix. You will, however, always have to specify the WINEPREFIX when running winecfg, regedit, etc. for a non-default wineprefix.
fsandefur
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fsandefur »

Give the update to 1.9.14 that my system just did broke literally everything .... that is another subject I'm not even going to try and go into here.

Is there *anywhere* I can look to find a reasonably concise listing of the available command line options to configure and use wine? I've given up on anything like a concise tutorial,
but something that isn't assuming I'm a full-on programmer would be helpful
dimesio

Post by dimesio »