Elder Scrolls Online still not playable on Wine 1.9.13

Questions about Wine on Linux
Darth_Malloc

Elder Scrolls Online still not playable on Wine 1.9.13

Post by Darth_Malloc »

I am attempting to use 1.9.13 to play ESO through PlayOnLinux on Linux Mint 17.1, but when I try to start the game, I get an error message that says "Unable to initialize render device". When I check the most recent entry in the log file, it says "[0628/200650:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(143)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 8". Is ESO supposed to be playable on Wine 1.9.13? If so, what can I do to fix it?
dimesio

Re: Elder Scrolls Online still not playable on Wine 1.9.13

Post by dimesio »

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=40310 was marked fixed, but comment #4 in that bug says
a new issue now pops-up instead. I'll file a new bug report once I've had time to try to work around it
It doesn't look like he's filed a bug for the new problem yet. You could file one, but you'll have to retest in plain Wine first, as POL is not supported.
Darth_Malloc

Post by Darth_Malloc »

Thanks for letting me know about that. However, when I try to install in plain Wine, the launcher just freezes in the loading splash screen. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Darth_Malloc wrote:Thanks for letting me know about that. However, when I try to install in plain Wine, the launcher just freezes in the loading splash screen. Does anyone know how to fix this?
You'll basically have to wait till enough of the Wine DirectX 10.x/11.x API compatibility layer to be implemented - to support Elder Scrolls Online... It's a major focus of active Wine Development... See here - watch the code roll in... I expect it'll take a few months more - but that's pure speculation on my part... 8)

Closing one bug will simply open up another bug - for another component of Wine that is not yet implemented...

Bob