VideoRedo used to work, now crashes, need help analyzing

Questions about Wine on Linux
Tony0945
Level 2
Level 2

VideoRedo used to work, now crashes, need help analyzing

Post by Tony0945 »

VideoRedo v 3 used to work, then I upgraded wine to 1.9.2 and it started crashing. I uninstalled and re-installed wine-1.8.2 but it still crashes. The log is at https://bpaste.net/show/fbc90dc34744 There are a lot of fixme's and a crash dump. Can someone point me to which dll is crashing? Using native quartz and msvcrt80.dll per this report https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... ngId=81749 DirectX added via winetricks. ie8 not available via winetricks or on the dual-booted XP system. Fake ie6 installed via winetricks.
dimesio

Re: VideoRedo used to work, now crashes, need help analyzing

Post by dimesio »

You must be using a very old version of winetricks, as IE8 certainly is available through it and "fakeie6" was removed from it long ago. The AppDB instructions you followed are also for a very old version of Wine, and those overrides may no longer be needed.

You can get the latest winetricks from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winet ... winetricks, and you should also upgrade Wine to the latest development release, as there have been lots of changes to winegstreamer and quartz that have not been backported to even the current stable release. After that, reinstall the app to a clean wineprefix--don't use any winetricks at first.
Tony0945
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tony0945 »

Found that although the latest winetricks are installed in /usr/bin/winetricks, an old 2009 version was still in /usr/local/bin which comes first in the PATH. I deleted that version and created a symlink from /usr/local/bin/winetricks to /usr/bin/winetricks. Will rename .wine to .oldwine and re-run winecfg and try re-installing Videoredoplus.
Tony0945
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tony0945 »

I now have a crash dump here: /home/tony/.wine/drive_c/users/tony/Application Data/VideoReDo-TVSuite4/backtrace.txt

It seems to crash in "xul" Is that correct? I do need help reading the dump. Please point me to a troubleshooting guide if that's appropriate.

EDIT: link to crash dump is https://bpaste.net/show/b0c944e8f2ad
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Tony0945 wrote:I now have a crash dump here: /home/tony/.wine/drive_c/users/tony/Application Data/VideoReDo-TVSuite4/backtrace.txt

It seems to crash in "xul" Is that correct? I do need help reading the dump. Please point me to a troubleshooting guide if that's appropriate.

EDIT: link to crash dump is https://bpaste.net/show/b0c944e8f2ad
Ahhh, a fellow Gentoo user, what a nice (cough) change... 8)

The crash dump in xul is obviously in the Wine-Gecko version bundled with Wine 1.8.2 (which 2.40 - based on Firefox 40.0). That will be used by Wine to do all the heavy, back-end lifting for all html rendering.

I'd recommend bumping up to Wine 1.9.13 (the latest development release) - which bundles Wine-Gecko 2.47 (based not surprisingly on the latest Firefox 47.0 release).

I've tested the free tree trial of this application on:

Code: Select all

emerge -pv --color=n =app-emulation/wine-1.9.13::bobwya app-emulation/winetricks
Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ~] app-emulation/wine-1.9.13::bobwya  USE="X alsa cups fontconfig gecko gphoto2 gsm gstreamer jpeg lcms mono mp3 ncurses nls openal opencl opengl osmesa pipelight png pulseaudio realtime run-exes s3tc samba scanner ssl staging threads truetype udisks xcomposite xinerama xml -custom-cflags -dos -ldap -netapi -odbc -oss -pcap -perl -prelink (-selinux) {-test} -v4l -vaapi" ABI_X86="32 64 (-x32)" LINGUAS="en en_US -ar -bg -ca -cs -da -de -el -eo -es -fa -fi -fr -he -hi -hr -hu -it -ja -ko -lt -ml -nb_NO -nl -or -pa -pl -pt_BR -pt_PT -rm -ro -ru -sk -sl -sr_RS@cyrillic -sr_RS@latin -sv -te -th -tr -uk -wa -zh_CN -zh_TW" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R   *] app-emulation/winetricks-99999999::gentoo  USE="kde rar -gtk" 0 KiB
In addtion I've pulled winetricks up to the latest release:

winetricks --version
20160627 - sha1sum: 49a061ce0ce08797e4e11b7ae28a19ec58d04080
(as it was rev-bumped 2 days ago...)

So I've installed the trial version, VideoReDoPlusM-3-10-3-629d.exe, to a clean 32-bit Wineprefix.

Clearly still need:

winetricks -q ie8 vcrun2005
(due to no interface html rendering / console spam respectively)

Any thoughts for how to re-produce your bug? Does the application crash at start-up? I'm not seeing any issues - but obviously I've not tried any re-encoding, etc.

Bob
Tony0945
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tony0945 »

Hello, fellow Gentoo buff! I'm glad the whole world isn't running Ubuntu. Btw, I have the same screen name on the Gentoo forum.

VideoReDoPlusM-3-10-3-629d.exe is working well, except that the "tip of the day" is always blank. I'll be posting results on the database before the weekend is over. Now that I have got it working, I have to test and see which changes are really necessary.

My problem is with Videoredo TVSuite v4 which bundles a dvd construction application to VideoredoPlus. You would think the basic functionality would be the same, but apparently there was some re-coding.

I may go back to the latest wine (originally that didn't work at all for VRD, although 1.6.2 ran it OK), but first I will try updating winetricks and also 1.8.3 if an ebuild is available yet from Gentoo.

I have windows licenses for both and as I read the license there is no problem with running it on wine, as long as only one incarnation at a time is in use.
Tony0945
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tony0945 »

tony@CASTI ~ $ emerge -pv wine winetricks

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] app-emulation/wine-1.8.2::gentoo USE="X alsa cups fontconfig gecko gsm gstreamer jpeg lcms mono mp3 ncurses opengl png realtime run-exes samba scanner ssl threads truetype xcomposite xml -capi -custom-cflags -dos -gphoto2 -ldap -netapi -nls -odbc -openal -opencl -osmesa -oss -pcap -perl -pipelight -prelink -pulseaudio -s3tc (-selinux) -staging {-test} -udisks -v4l -vaapi -xinerama" ABI_X86="32 64 (-x32)" LINGUAS="en en_US -ar -bg -ca -cs -da -de -el -eo -es -fa -fi -fr -he -hi -hr -hu -it -ja -ko -lt -ml -nb_NO -nl -or -pa -pl -pt_BR -pt_PT -rm -ro -ru -sk -sl -sr_RS@cyrillic -sr_RS@latin -sv -te -th -tr -uk -wa -zh_CN -zh_TW" 138,162 KiB
[ebuild R ~] app-emulation/winetricks-20160627::local-overlay USE="gtk -kde -rar" 0 KiB

Total: 2 packages (2 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 138,162 KiB
Tony0945
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tony0945 »

Installed FF 47.0 to get the gecko. Won't even run now:

tony@CASTI ~ $ env WINEPREFIX="/home/tony/.wine" wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix "/home/tony/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/Public/Desktop/VideoReDo\ TVSuite\ V4.lnk"
fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32" failed to start: 1053
fixme:process:GetProcessWorkingSetSize (0xffffffff,0x73e95c,0x73e960): stub
fixme:win:RegisterDeviceNotificationA (hwnd=0x1348f0, filter=0x93e70c,flags=0x00000001) returns a fake device notification handle!
fixme:win:UnregisterDeviceNotification (handle=0xcafecafe), STUB!
fixme:win:RegisterDeviceNotificationA (hwnd=0x1348f0, filter=0x93e6a8,flags=0x00000001) returns a fake device notification handle!
fixme:win:RegisterDeviceNotificationA (hwnd=0x1348f0, filter=0x93e6a8,flags=0x00000001) returns a fake device notification handle!
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
err:exec:shellex_load_object_and_run failed to get data object
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Tony0945 wrote:Installed FF 47.0 to get the gecko. Won't even run now:
Sorry you misunderstood me... I wasn't talking about the standard Firefox installer - I was talking about Wine-Gecko that is used to support html rendering - for Internet Explorer - when running under Wine.

For more information - see the Wine Wiki - Gecko ...

Wine Gecko versions are matched to the Wine release version. So only Wine 1.9.13 (or newer e.g. Wine-Git) will support Wine-Gecko 2.47.

O.T. The following is a blatant advertising campaign...!!

If you want to pull newer versions of Wine. I do aim to get to get them out first in my Overlay: bobwya. Fully build tested (cough, cough - NP).

I do a staggered release of:
  • Wine vanilla
  • Wine with the Wine-Staging patchset
- aiming to do this same day after each Wine/ Wine-Staging version release. I've got some simple build scripts to semi-automate this process.

I do not include the Gallium Direct3D9 patchset - because this does not support the Nvidia proprietary drivers (which I exclusively use). I can't really build test it - so I'm not happy including it.

I've got some enhancements to the ebuild for =app-emulation/wine-9999 (Wine live / Git ebuild) so that you can build against:
  1. Wine branch (default=origin/master)
  2. Wine commit hash
  3. Wine-Staging commit hash
  4. Wine-Staging branch
So for 4) , which I personally use - my "golden build" - as this typically always builds!! I just have:

cat /etc/portage/env/app-emulation/wine
EGIT_STAGING_BRANCH="master"
Ran that past NP. He said it's OK to do a live Wine build that builds against the Wine-Staging Git tree. But only if it's via an environment variable override - et viola!!

I've also got a nutty script (that everyone laughs at :cry: ) that parses the Wine & Wine-Staging Git trees. When you build against a Wine Git commit (or the Wine Git origin/master) - this is often ahead of the Wine-Staging Git tree - so you get a build failure. The script does a backwards and forwards walk through the Wine Git tree to find the nearest Wine Git commit that supports Wine-Staging. I put hours of work into that - but more as a "hobby challenge" - I'm not really sure that it's of any great practical use!! 8)

NP has been waiting on a new build machine/ hardware - for weeks... Hence why the official (in-tree) Gentoo Wine builds are lagging behind, official Wine releases, a bit in recent months...

Bob
Tony0945
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tony0945 »

Resurrecting this with new info. I've been using your overlay for six months now, but still trouble with these packages.
On one machine (Phenom II with SATA blu-ray DVD-ROM) everything works in 1.8.3 if I do the following:

winetricks Quartz, msvc80, DirectX9 (D9-X36 alone is not 3enough)and Internet Explorer 8
in setup turnoff deinterlace and YUV acceleration, choose Direct X

On the other machine (Athlon II with IDE DVD-ROM) it does not. Since the first machine dual boots with XP, I am most interested in the second machine. I'm looking for hints as to how it is different. Even Imgburn, that always works without winetricks, cannot see the drive on the second machine although it is mounted and if you do "wine cmd" followed by "dir d:" the DVD files show up. VideoRedo (any version) crashes on file save and the "tp of the da6y is gibberish, but no problems on the first machine.

At the same time, if you could indulge me, how can I upgrade to 2.2 without wiping everything 'wine' from the machine? I hate to reinstall at every upgrade. Also, how can I "back out" winetricks to see if the new upgrade still needs them. There are 32 combinations and I hate to do 32 wipes and re-installs.

BTW, I can emerge from your overlay fine and that's where I'm getting winetricks. Many thanlks for your effort on this overlay.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Tony0945 wrote:Resurrecting this with new info. I've been using your overlay for six months now, but still trouble with these packages.
On one machine (Phenom II with SATA blu-ray DVD-ROM) everything works in 1.8.3 if I do the following:

winetricks Quartz, msvc80, DirectX9 (D9-X36 alone is not 3enough)and Internet Explorer 8
I'd test with individual extensions (d3dx9_*) or d3dx9 (MS d3dx9_??.dll from DirectX 9 redistributable) first - using winetricks obviously.
You are only recommended to install directx9 as a last resort.

Tony0945 wrote: On the other machine (Athlon II with IDE DVD-ROM) it does not. Since the first machine dual boots with XP, I am most interested in the second machine. I'm looking for hints as to how it is different. Even Imgburn, that always works without winetricks, cannot see the drive on the second machine although it is mounted and if you do "wine cmd" followed by "dir d:" the DVD files show up. VideoRedo (any version) crashes on file save and the "tp of the da6y is gibberish, but no problems on the first machine.
Those issues would be hard to troubleshoot.

Issues with disc mounting will most likely be related to the system sys-fs/udisks package.
So compare:

emerge -p1v udisks
on both machines. Wine links against this library.

The broken tips of the day could be a locale issue, a rendering issue, etc.
Post up some console output, from VideoRedo, here - I'll take a look.
It might help to post console output from both the working machine and the busted setup.
I've still got the expired trial of VideoReDo Plus 3.10.3.629 installed in a WINEPREFIX - so I can compare to that as well.

Tony0945 wrote:At the same time, if you could indulge me, how can I upgrade to 2.2 without wiping everything 'wine' from the machine? I hate to reinstall at every upgrade. Also, how can I "back out" winetricks to see if the new upgrade still needs them. There are 32 combinations and I hate to do 32 wipes and re-installs.
What do you mean "32 wipes and re-installs" ??
Generally you should just update the app-emulation/wine package - reusing your existing WINEPREFIX(es).
Just run:

wineboot -u
to update the Wine-Gecko and/or Wine-Mono - if they are installed in a WINEPREFIX.
FYI I generally only refresh a WINEPREFIX if I'm doing a test submission, for an application on WineHQ AppDB.

If you want to test some overrides. Test each of the individual d3dx9_* libraries to see which are required. Perhaps more of the full directx9 libraries are required - e.g. if they are used for video playback/reencoding.
DirectX is major focus of development for Wine - so things will gradually improve. But having said that - I'm not aware of any fixes occuring in this area recently...
Internet Explorer (ie8), or newer, will probably always be needed for some applications. There aren't enough Wine developers to rebuild an IE clone... 8)

Tony0945 wrote:BTW, I can emerge from your overlay fine and that's where I'm getting winetricks. Many thanks for your effort on this overlay.
If you're getting winetricks from my repository - it's the first I've heard about it...!! :o
See app-emulation/winetricks in all public/non-official Gentoo Overlays. :?

Bob
Tony0945
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tony0945 »

Whoops! You are correct (of course). Winetricks is from the main gentoo repository.
I removed all traces of wine, basically everything from "locate wine |grep tony" and re-emerged and re-installed using my notes from doing the same (first tarring everything up) on the Phenom II machine. The DVD-ROM detect works as long as there is a movie dvd in the player before mounting. A Win7 install disk didn't work. Looks like it has to be a movie disk.

By 32 wipes and reinstalls I mean to test all combinations of the five winetricks programs. Or is it sufficient to use winecfg to select "builtin only" for a dll to nullify winetricks?

Here are my notes for the packages I installed:
VideoRedoPlus
winetricks Quartz, msvc80 (using vcrun2005), DirectX9 and Internet Explorer 8
Quartz is needed to open video files
msvc80 is needed to avoid crash on saving files
ie8 is needed for tip of the day to display correctly

VideoRedoTVSuite 4
Same as VRDPlus

VideoRedoTVSuite 5
must set version to win 7 (per manufacturer)
Same as VRDPLus also msvc100
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Tony0945 wrote:Whoops! You are correct (of course). Winetricks is from the main gentoo repository.
I removed all traces of wine, basically everything from "locate wine |grep tony" and re-emerged and re-installed using my notes from doing the same (first tarring everything up) on the Phenom II machine. The DVD-ROM detect works as long as there is a movie dvd in the player before mounting. A Win7 install disk didn't work. Looks like it has to be a movie disk.
  • tarring up what?
    WINEPREFIXes that you are moving from one machine to another - or what?
  • DVD-ROM detection for what application?
  • Again - I'll re-iterate - have you compared build options and versions - for the sys-fs/udisks package?
    Working system vs. semi-working system.
Tony0945 wrote: By 32 wipes and reinstalls I mean to test all combinations of the five winetricks programs. Or is it sufficient to use winecfg to select "builtin only" for a dll to nullify winetricks?
When you first boot the wineserver process, for a non-existant WINEPREFIX...
Wine will create the WINEPREFIX directories and copy various .exe and .dlll stubs to the WINEPREFIX.
These "fake" Windows PE files will actually load a corresponding native Linux library to implement 99% of the functionality of the Windows library or executable.
When you install native Windows foundation classes, etc. these will overwrite any "fake" Wine libraries/executables that have a path clash.
"fake" Wine dlls are much smaller in size, than the Windows equivalent (Kbytes vs Mbytes).
Also the Wine dll files will (typically) have have nearly identical modified timestamps.

So tl;dr - no you can't just use winecfg to select "builtin only" for a dll - to nullify Windows libraries or applications installed via winetricks...

The correct way to do this is to setup a clean WINEPREFIX - with no overrides...
Then you use the Wine console output to guide you - as to what Windows System libraries you actually need.

Bob
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Bob Wya wrote: These "fake" Windows PE files will actually load a corresponding native Linux library to implement 99% of the functionality of the Windows library or executable.
The fake dlls in the wineprefix don't load anything. They are there to fool apps that check system32 for the dlls and refuse to start if they don't find them there. That's why simply copying a dll that Wine has a builtin version of to the wineprefix without setting an override does nothing--Wine continues to favor its builtin version.
Tony0945
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tony0945 »

Bob Wya wrote:
  • tarring up what?
    WINEPREFIXes that you are moving from one machine to another - or what?
  • DVD-ROM detection for what application?
  • Again - I'll re-iterate - have you compared build options and versions - for the sys-fs/udisks package?
    Working system vs. semi-working system.
tarring up .wine i.e. "tar cvf <somename>.tgz .wine" followed by rm -rf .wine, winecfg then creates a new clean .wine

DVD-ROM detection for all of the applications that I listed. Imgburn obviously needs it for core functionality, VideoredPlus has a command "read video from DVD" and the Suites let you create and burn a DVD.

I do not run udisks as it drags in all sort of 'kits. However, I found the trick is to have /dev/sr0 mounted first and with a video DVD in the drive. That is only need during installation. The applications seem to remember the location of the DVD-ROM after installation.

Right now, everything is working on both systems, except TVSuite 5 on one system. Due to the repeated installations, I've exhausted my temp key quota and have to buy a permanent key for the application to go further.

This problem is essentially solved. But as new versions of wine come out, I would like to try without the winetricks. I have already found that although full DirectX was needed for 1.8.3, it is not needed (except maybe for TVSuite 5) on 2.2 for the other applications.

If I understand correctly, the best way to try is to rename .wine and create a new .wine and install into it. Then if it works, re-install each of the applications to see if they need the winetrick? Is there no easier way to test if the native dll/app is still needed.
Tony0945
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tony0945 »

dimesio wrote:The fake dlls in the wineprefix don't load anything. They are there to fool apps that check system32 for the dlls and refuse to start if they don't find them there. That's why simply copying a dll that Wine has a builtin version of to the wineprefix without setting an override does nothing--Wine continues to favor its builtin version.
Then to check if the winetrick dll is neeed, I need only go into winecfg and mark it as "built-in only" and try out the application to see if it still works, without recreating a whole new .wine?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Tony0945 wrote: Then to check if the winetrick dll is neeed, I need only go into winecfg and mark it as "built-in only" and try out the application to see if it still works, without recreating a whole new .wine?
Correct. The advantage of a clean wineprefix is that it gets rid of all changes all at once, and you don't have to worry about having forgotten any.
ech68

Post by ech68 »

I've got a somewhat different problem, but also a regression in newer wine releases - the "cut list" when read in from a project file, is now in backwards order and that causes output of a trimmed video to contain repeated sections... ie, it's broken badly.

wine version 2.3-1.fc25 works fine, but anything newer than that breaks VideoReDo in this respect.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

ech68 wrote:I've got a somewhat different problem, but also a regression in newer wine releases - the "cut list" when read in from a project file, is now in backwards order and that causes output of a trimmed video to contain repeated sections... ie, it's broken badly.

wine version 2.3-1.fc25 works fine, but anything newer than that breaks VideoReDo in this respect.
That's an "easy problem" (TM) - especially since you've isolated the 2 versions on either side of the regression. 8)
You just need to do a Regression Test - see WineHQ Wiki: Regression Test - to find the offending Git commit.
Boundaries would be Wine 2.3 (good) and Wine 2.4 (bad) obviously.

Bob