Cannot Install Platinum Game in Wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
Titan91
Level 2
Level 2

Cannot Install Platinum Game in Wine

Post by Titan91 »

I'm trying to set up Tony Hawk's Underground 2 under the latest development version of WINE (1.9.12) on Mint 17.3 x86. I have read various test reports saying the game installs and runs without issues, even the THUG Pro expansion mod. I can't get it to install. The installer does not launch straight from the disk, the Wise installer gives "Error reading setup initialization file." The installer does run under PlayOnLinux using the option to install a game not listed. The install appears to run fine and it reaches the final stage of "updating component registration" then WINE gives this error:

I have tried this using AcetoneISO as a virtual drive and by copying everything from the CD into its own folder with the same result. I did notice the installer goes through hundreds of files at a time with no disk activity, then occasionally pauses on a file for about 10 seconds while the HDD crunches. Also, the game's folders and files are present in the prefix Program Files folder during installation, but only one folder/file remains after I close that message and force close WINE (closing it via the panel or System Monitor doesn't work).

I had 1.6.2 installed and I had a separate issue with that so I updated. I will try the older 1.6.2 in PlayOnLinux, which is the latest available version in Mint's Software Manager. The latest version of WINE didn't show up in the list of programs; I know there's also a stable release newer than 1.6.2 but I could not find a link to the latest stable version.

Tried 1.6.2 in PlayOnLinux and as a master install, same result. Looks like the error message is generated by the Wise wizard. I see it works in Arch and Ubuntu, but can't find any test results for Mint. Several others have had this problem but have found no solution.

I am new to Linux, so if I'm missing anything obvious let me know. My understanding is it should install without issues. I didn't think to get terminal output, but I have a feeling it's a registry problem.
dimesio

Re: Cannot Install Platinum Game in Wine

Post by dimesio »

Titan91
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Titan91 »

Terminal output is attached. Looks like a cab file cannot be opened?
Attachments
log.zip
(1.97 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Titan91 wrote:Terminal output is attached. Looks like a cab file cannot be opened?
@Titan91

PlayOnLinux is not supported on this forum - as is stated in the WineHQ FAQ
The bundled versions of Wine - shipped with POL have unofficial patches applied - that can cause random breakages and are not widely tested...
I'd recommend reading through the whole the WineHQ FAQ - as this document provides an essential knowledge base - just to use Wine day to day... Otherwise you'll probably struggle to get applications to work successfully...

Before posting any vanilla Wine terminal output please ensure you have updated to the latest development release of Wine (currently 1.9.13)... See WineHQ Official Ubuntu Download Wiki ... Please read the surrounding text - on this Wiki page - before blindly pasting the commands into a terminal...

Ta
Bob
Titan91
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Titan91 »

I have tried both of those (forgot to mention). The issue was the "change CD" script was not being run and the installer was trying to locate files that don't exist in the first CD image. Worked around this manually. Thanks.