Running a Wine Application Forever

Questions about Wine on Linux
rustyk

Running a Wine Application Forever

Post by rustyk »

Hi,

I have a windows app that runs and acts like a server. It runs ok but having problems with the connection and it looks like it's timing out.

I have tried screen and tmux but I can't connect. Is there some sort of settings so it acts like the windows counterpart?

Appreciate any help, thanks.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Running a Wine Application Forever

Post by Bob Wya »

rustyk wrote:...
Appreciate any help, thanks.
Sorry, but I'm not quite grokking what you're trying to ask there...
  1. Is the question about running a Window's server application - headless - under Wine? Or is it under a standard X session?
  2. The issue is keeping the Windows service running? In other words re-starting it when it fails?
  3. Are you trying to run the Windows service on a remote machine? So you are talking about using tmux to ensure it continues to run if you log in remotely, restart it and log out again...
It feels like we'd need a bit more info to be able to help!

Ta
Bob
rustyk

Post by rustyk »

Thanks Bob,

1. Yes I need to start it in a standard X Session and have to logout remotely.
2. Actually it runs ok. It's the connection that is timing out. I also have another console native server app that does that. Any tips to make it run forever?
3. Yes, I'm using a VPN to host a server gui app and it needs to run in a window.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

rustyk wrote:Thanks Bob,

1. Yes I need to start it in a standard X Session and have to logout remotely.
2. Actually it runs ok. It's the connection that is timing out. I also have another console native server app that does that. Any tips to make it run forever?
3. Yes, I'm using a VPN to host a server gui app and it needs to run in a window.
Well, you're not going to like my solution... :shock:

If native applications are also disconnecting - then I'd write a native BASH service script (other shell scripting languages are available) to run as a background process... It would detect the disconnection, wait for a re-connection and then restart your Windows service/GUI application at this point.

O.T.
There's a very good reason why Microsoft are implementing the Ubuntu Compatibility Layer on Windows 10. Hint it isn't because Windows Powershell is a brilliant piece of software engineering. So use native tools - when appropriate... 8)
rustyk

Post by rustyk »

Thanks Bob for all the info!
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

rustyk wrote:Thanks Bob for all the info!
np 8)