Wine steam no sound + crashes entire sound system

Questions about Wine on Linux
junebug

Wine steam no sound + crashes entire sound system

Post by junebug »

So, this started off as just steam (launched through wine, at first on a 64bit prefix and now a 32bit one) not having any audio, as well as most games (all but one that I tried) launched through steam having no audio either.

In addition to that, right now, running steam through wine seems to mess up pretty much everything audio related on my PC (arch linux). What I mean by that is ncmpcpp (audio player) times out and youtube videos refuse to play in firefox, clicking play/pause moves the video by one frame with nothing else happening.

I don't know what the hell this nonsense is. I've tried googling and can't find anything related to this. I've tried killing pulseaudio (and later restarting it), I've tried using winetricks to set sound mode to alsa as well. Absolutely no difference.

Any help? If there's any log or somesuch I should attach, please let me know.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Wine steam no sound + crashes entire sound system

Post by Bob Wya »

• What's the output from:

Code: Select all

pacman -Qs pulse
    pacman -Qs wine
    pacman -Qs alsa
  • Can you provide a console log from when startup Steam? E.g.:

wine Steam.exe -no-cef-sandbox &>console_log.txt
  • Does Steam still crash your system - when you run it in Wine Virtual Desktop?
  • What graphics card and driver version are you using? (Since Steam renders to a GL canvas)
  • What Desktop Environment/Window Manager are you using?
I can't see any open Arch bugs that might be relevant. I'm not seeing any of the issues you describe on my Gentoo install (just updated Steam in a 64-bit Wineprefix to double-check!!) Just what you want to hear - I'm sure... :cry:

Bob
junebug

Re: Wine steam no sound + crashes entire sound system

Post by junebug »

Bob Wya wrote:
  • What's the output from:

pacman -Qs pulse
    pacman -Qs wine
    pacman -Qs alsa
  • Can you provide a console log from when startup Steam? E.g.:

wine Steam.exe -no-cef-sandbox &>console_log.txt
  • Does Steam still crash your system - when you run it in Wine Virtual Desktop?
  • What graphics card and driver version are you using? (Since Steam renders to a GL canvas)
  • What Desktop Environment/Window Manager are you using?
I can't see any open Arch bugs that might be relevant. I'm not seeing any of the issues you describe on my Gentoo install (just updated Steam in a 64-bit Wineprefix to double-check!!) Just what you want to hear - I'm sure... :cry:

Bob
My mistake, haha. I don't know -what- exactly was causing the mpd stuff to hang, maybe I was just getting overzealous in closing terminal windows or something...

I solved the sound issue, though. I removed Pulse, set wine to use alsa and installed the lib32-openal package. Silly me, said package was listed on the arch wiki page for Wine itself but not the page for Steam/Wine!