Minimizing to Notification area, program-icon stops working

Questions about Wine on Linux
omelette
Level 2
Level 2

Minimizing to Notification area, program-icon stops working

Post by omelette »

Running WIne 1.8 (Stable) on Mint 17.3 Rosa/Mate, whenever I run a Windows app and select its "Minimize to tray" option, the minimizing/restoring will usually work a few times, before when miminized, its icon in the Notification area becomes unresponsive. The only option then is to forcibly close the program. This happens with all the apps that I've tried, Notepad++ being just one example, plus my own apps that I've developed with Delphi. Here is a small example app thrown together to illustrate the problem - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6vEA ... nVuY0Z1eWc

The same problem existed with Wine 1.6 which leads me to believe that it may be OS-related. What I've discovered is that it may have something to do with when 'Compositing' is being enabled. The problem always exists with Compiz (Compositing-hog), with Metacity + compositing, but vanishes with just Metacity (no compositing), or when the Marco DM is used.

This is a really obvious and annoying problem, so I'm wondering why I cannot find anyone else complaining about it! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.