Getting USP ports recognized in Wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
luggw1

Getting USP ports recognized in Wine

Post by luggw1 »

I'm trying to get the software that is used to upload data for my wife's insulin pump to work in Wine. The software installs and runs correctly, but it doesn't detect the presence of USB ports on the system.

I've read elsewhere that when a USB device is plugged in it "defaults to a /dev/ttyUSBx" (where x is a number typically between 0 and 9) and you need to create a symbolic link between /dev/ttyUSB# and COMy (where y is a number between 1 and 3) in the ~/.wine/dosdevices folder. However, in the Mint 17.3 KDE version that I'm running there are no /dev/ttyUSBx files. Moreover, plugging in the pump doesn't make one appear (which I didn't really expect anyway).

I did notice in a lsusb output that the device shows up like this: "Bus 002 Device 006: ID 0483:5740 STMicroelectronics STM32F407".

So, my question is how do I get either this device or USB detection in general to work in wine? FWIW, I'm running Wine version 1.6.2 that comes with the distro for 17.3.

Thanks for the help. If I get this to work, I'll post the process I went through as there may be others out there that could use the help.

Bill Lugg
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Getting USP ports recognized in Wine

Post by Bob Wya »

I think this Phoronix article (and the pithy comments) pretty much encapsulate the state of USB support in Wine to-date...

tl;dr you'd have more luck contacting the pump manufacturer and applying some consumer pressure for a Linux port... :(