uninstall from source

Questions about Wine on Linux
angus73
Level 1
Level 1

uninstall from source

Post by angus73 »

Hello,
I am having some trouble uninstalling a wine 1.4. Using the distribution package manager (Ubuntu, so apt-get remove wine) returns wine package is not installed, so I am convinced that I had installed from source (maybe I can be wrong?). Here is what happens then:

$ wine --version
wine-1.4

Unfortunately, I don't have any traces of the previous installation directory, so I downloaded wine-1.4, and issued ./configure, make and sudo make uninstall. But, after that, wine seems to be still installed:

$ wine --version
wine-1.4
$ which wine
/usr/bin/wine

I tried also to make install and then make uninstall, but nothing changes. The only thing I noticed is that after make install, "which wine" returns a different path (/usr/local/bin/wine if I remember correctly).

Is it possible for example that I have now downloaded a wine1.4 different from the one I had previously installed (maybe rc1, rc2 or so) and the install (and uninstall) is different between those (sub-)versions? Is there any way to find out which wine version (and sub-version) I had used to install it from source, to be sure to use the corresponding one for uninstalling it?

Can anyone help me please?

Thank you very much,
Angus
dimesio

Re: uninstall from source

Post by dimesio »

Distro packages normally install Wine to /usr/bin/wine whereas self-built Wine installs by default to /usr/local/bin/wine, so it sounds like you installed 1.4 from a distro package.

The former Ubuntu maintainers used to include the version number in the name of the package, e.g., the package for Wine 1.4 was named wine1.4, not wine. Try removing wine1.4 through your package manager.
angus73
Level 1
Level 1

Re: uninstall from source

Post by angus73 »

dimesio wrote:Distro packages normally install Wine to /usr/bin/wine whereas self-built Wine installs by default to /usr/local/bin/wine, so it sounds like you installed 1.4 from a distro package.

The former Ubuntu maintainers used to include the version number in the name of the package, e.g., the package for Wine 1.4 was named wine1.4, not wine. Try removing wine1.4 through your package manager.
Huh, well, that was the key, and solved my problem.
Thank you very much!