Arabic font is backward and disjoint

Questions about Wine on Linux
leblinux
Level 1
Level 1

Arabic font is backward and disjoint

Post by leblinux »

Dears,

I have an exe program based on swf that has Arabic fonts displayed backwards and disjoint when running wine main.exe.

the main.exe is working fine under Windows 7

I pasted the Windows 7 fonts inside .wine/c_drive/windows/Fonts and still the same problem.

Is there a way to install an Arabic non-unicode fonts and register it in wine so that it renders thru main.exe that is based on adobe flash player?

Also note that I installed usp10.dll and still same problem.

thanks!
dimesio

Re: Arabic font is backward and disjoint

Post by dimesio »

What is your system locale? If it's not an Arabic one, you need to start the app with the appropriate LANG variable.
leblinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leblinux »

I tried running LC_ALL=ar_LB.utf8 arabic locale and still same problem.
I tried with LANGUAGE=ar_LB.utf8 and still same problem.

Any other ideas? I could share the application folder on dropbox so you can try it if you want.

Its a folder containing bunch of .swf files and main.exe which opens Adobe flash.
leblinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leblinux »

I also tried LANG=ar_SY.utf8 same problem
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

leblinux wrote:I tried with LANGUAGE=ar_LB.utf8 and still same problem.
That should be LANG=ar_LB.UTF-8.
Any other ideas?
You didn't mention what Wine version you're using. If it's not the latest development release, upgrade. If it still doesn't display properly, file a bug.
leblinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leblinux »

Wine 1.9.8
The Arabic fonts are displayed from Left to Right and it suppose to be from Right to Left and broken to letters not connected.
leblinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leblinux »

Hello,
I am back to this thread which I started last year, and I still have the problem after updating wine to version: 2.0.1
how can Import arabic fonts to wine so it can register it and play the exe flash file?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

leblinux wrote:Hello,
I am back to this thread which I started last year, and I still have the problem after updating wine to version: 2.0.1
how can Import arabic fonts to wine so it can register it and play the exe flash file?
Well I predict you'll be responding to your own thread next year as well, unless... :?
You file a bug at WineHQ Bugzilla . 8)

In this case it would probably be useful to supply:
  • screenshots - with Wine and ideally including the expected result under native MS Windows
  • terminal output
  • what TTF / OTF Arabic fonts you have installed
  • export of Wine Registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Fonts\External Fonts
Basically the more detail / information you can supply - the more likely the bug report is to get some Developer attention...

You would need to test with Wine development version 2.10.
The stable version of Wine (currently 2.0.1) only gets a very limited / curated list of back-ported patches.

Bob
hverbeet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hverbeet »

As both Bob and Rosanne already mentioned, your best bet for getting this fixed is filing a bug in Wine's bugzilla. Screenshots and terminal output would definitely help. One issue I'm aware of is the fact that shaping is unimplemented in DirectWrite, so applications using DirectWrite instead of Uniscribe/usp10 for shaping would display symptoms similar to what you describe. The fact that installing native usp10 doesn't help would be consistent with that, but isn't an guarantee that that's the issue you're seeing.
dimesio wrote:
leblinux wrote:I tried with LANGUAGE=ar_LB.utf8 and still same problem.
That should be LANG=ar_LB.UTF-8.
Actually, no, "ar_LB.utf8" should work fine, as well as some sillier variants like e.g. "ar_LB.--U-t-F-8--".