Post by vakz »

So, first of all, some info:

Code: Select all

vakz@vakz-PC:~$ uname -a
Linux vakz-PC 4.4.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.4.6-1 (2016-03-17) x86_64 GNU/Linux

vakz@vakz-PC:~$ wine --version
wine-1.8.1
The application I'm trying to run is Eastside Hockey Manager. I downloaded it through Steam on Windows and simply copied the files. As far as I can tell, it doesn't depend on Steam actually running, and I've found mentions on other forums of people getting it to run on Wine, but nobody actually says how. Due to the fact that it's not a hugely popular games means there's not a lot of help to be found through google.

This is an attempt to run it:

vakz@vakz-PC:~/Eastside Hockey Manager$ WINEDEBUG=err+all wine ehm.exe
Executing wine (wineserver64) 1.8.1 on Debian stretch/sid (amd64).
If something goes wrong, please rerun with "WINEDEBUG=err+all wine"
for more detailed debugging output.
Not sure if it's of any help, but:

vakz@vakz-PC:~/Eastside Hockey Manager$ echo $?
I've tried it on another computer (also running debian and the same version of wine), which yields the exact same result.

So, obviously, my issue here is that the game doesn't run, and I don't really know where to even begin troubleshooting, since I don't even receive an error. It almost looks as if Wine thinks the game ran successfully, but clearly, that isn't the case.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Application doesn't launch but gives no error

Post by spoon0042 »

Unless it's an old DOS game I think anything on Steam needs Steam installed to run. Download the (Windows) Steam installer, make a new wineprefix if you want. I don't think there's any issues with recent versions of wine, but you can try a development version (currently 1.9.8 ) if you want. Only thing I can think of is you have to run steam with -no-cef-sandbox if you want the store to work in the client.

With that out of the way, generally you're not supposed to just copy things from a windows install. Steam though seems to be designed to work and I've never had a problem with it. You should be able to copy or link the appropriate stuff under steamapps to your new Steam install, or all of it, or just this game ("steamapps/common/Eastside Hockey Manager" or whatever and its corresponding appmanifest_301120.acf file).

Hopefully that gets you somewhere. It's kind of weird you're not getting any error message though, but the debian packages are a bit screwy so if you do get Steam installed and it still doesn't work you'll probably want to try the 1.9.8 package here: https://wiki.winehq.org/Debian
vakz

Post by vakz »

It does indeed seem that the game required Steam for something while running. Installing Steam through wine "solved it". May not be the ideal solution, but at least it works.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Steam games check for Steam being installed, it's part of their kind of "DRM". A Steam game designed for Windows will check for Windows Steam installed, it won't care for Linux Steam, it wouldn't even know about it. Wine could theoretically intercept the function calls when a game checks for Steam (redirecting to Linux Steam), but that would be a huge effort, an evil app-specific hack and it might break with every change in Steam. So installing Windows Steam in wine is the right(tm) way, if you can't get a Steam game in a Linux (Steam) version.