huge sound delay in some games.

Questions about Wine on Linux
Genkaz

huge sound delay in some games.

Post by Genkaz »

I am having issues with the sound latency in certain games when attempting to play them. This issue occurred with Spooky's House of Jump Scares as well as in an RPG called Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, where the audio is delayed by what seems to be a second.

I was wondering what the possible source of this problem was. I attempted both the alsa and the built in pulseaudio drivers, which does not seem to change much, and the majority of other proposed solutions seem to require an extensive amount of scripting which I am not interested in.

There is apparently a way to wire the alsa output to Jack, however the support for jack was not only removed a really long time ago, but also reportedly creates a latency increase as well.

I was wondering if it was possible to fix the issue somehow without being forced to code Photoshop in assembly.

I am on Lubuntu 15.10 that has pulseaudio installed on it.
dimesio

Re: huge sound delay in some games.

Post by dimesio »

You didn't mention what Wine version you're using. If it's not the latest development release, upgrade. If the problem is present in 1.9.7 or later, file a bug.
Anyeos

Re: huge sound delay in some games.

Post by Anyeos »

I had same problem or likewise your's. The problem was not wine itself but DirectX. Most precisely the "dsound" library.

I used winecfg and in Library tab modified "dsound" to (internal) instead of (native). So now Wine uses the "internal" library (own) instead the "native" (DirectX one).

If you don't have that library listed in the "Library" tab of winecfg, you can add it.

I recommend you use winetricks and choose install DirectX10 from that. It will add all the neccesary libraries in the list. But it will put "dsound" as (native) so you will change it manually to (internal) like me.

I hope this can be of help for other people as well because it took me some time to figure out what was the problem in the sound delay.

Note: With that changed to (internal) you may have no audio input (microphone) working in games if you are using pure alsa (it works however with dsound as native). But for solve that you can use pulseaudio and all will work as expected without noticeable delay at all.