Keypad multiply (*) key not detected

Questions about Wine on Linux
Toad
Level 1
Level 1

Keypad multiply (*) key not detected

Post by Toad »

When playing games that allow you to change the keys assigned to commands, my keypad multiply key is not detected.

Strangely, typing the key in a text field - chat or character name box, for example - outputs the expected * character OK. But when trying to assign the key to a command, pressing it does nothing. Other keypad keys such as Divide, Subtract and Add are detected correctly.

Running xev, I can see the Multiply key detected correctly as "keycode 63 (keysym 0xffaa, KP_Multiply)". But not in games within Wine.

OpenSUSE Leap 42.1

Azio Mech-5 keyboard
Toad
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Keypad multiply (*) key not detected

Post by Toad »

Can anyone at least reply to state that they have do not have this issue? Specifically; when playing a game that allows you to configure your choice of keys to actions, all keypad keys are recognized?
Toad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Toad »

As a work-around, I have discovered that I can xmodmap the keypad multiply key to another symbol and games will then recognize the key. I don't understand why the multiply key is otherwise undetected, but this work-around could do what I want. However, I don't want to permanently xmodmap the keypad multiply key because it works fine outside of Wine.

Is it possible to define a custom xmodmap or other keyboard re-mapping within a Wine bottle? For example, I want to customize my keypad multiply key for playing a game but I don't want the customization to be permanent across my normal desktop.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Is that an external keypad device? Would the (non-keypad) * on your keyboard work (Shift+8)? Run the game in terminal and post wine's output. Could it be, that the * is somehow mistaken for something like "any key", kind of wild-card character?
Toad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Toad »

The keypad could be considered "external". My keyboard is an Azio Levetron Mech 5. The number keypad can be attached to either the left or right side. However, the problem is not unique to the Azio keyboard; I have tried two other keyboards of different brands and the problem exists with all of them.

I should note that I am using PlayOnLinux to run Wine. The games I am currently working on are Guild Wars I and II.

I have looked at the debug log with "+all" set but I did not see any errors related to keyboard input. As I noted; the keypad multiply key will output the expected "*" symbol when typing in a text area, such as the game chat. But it is not detected when trying to use it as a game control.

Attempting to use Shift+8 to set the "*" symbol doesn't work. The game correctly detects the pressing of Shift and 8 keys as a chord - not the * key.

I have set the * multiply key as a control for the games in both Windows and OS X (not using Wine) so I know the problem is not a game limitation.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hm, don't know what's going wrong. You probably should file a bug in wine's bugzilla.

Are you using an English/US keyboard layout/locale or foreign ones?

I think filing a bug is your best bet, maybe politely asking wine devs on IRC might help too, though you should not expect the issue to be resolved quickly. There are similar bugs in wine's bugzilla like 19969, which have been there for many years.