Roller Coaster Tycoon missing music

Questions about Wine on Linux
bobg
Level 1
Level 1

Roller Coaster Tycoon missing music

Post by bobg »

Hi all,
The gui sounds (button clicks) all work and I hear the crowds and the rides but no music. I have checked the 'OPTIONS' for the game and music is definitely enabled. I've looked at the wine-app-database for RCT3 and there does not appear to be a help there. I have Windows Media Player installed under wine and it plays the game music files without problem. My system is Debian Jessie with xfce4 desktop. I am running wine version 1.9.0 (debian current).

I would appreciate any info regarding codecs and playing .wma files in wine.
dimesio

Re: Roller Coaster Tycoon missing music

Post by dimesio »

Try upgrading to 1.9.2; winegstreamer was just fixed. Use the WineHQ package. https://wiki.winehq.org/Debian
bobg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobg »

dimesio wrote:Try upgrading to 1.9.2; winegstreamer was just fixed. Use the WineHQ package. https://wiki.winehq.org/Debian
No joy. Installing the WineHQ-devel version took wine to 1.9.2. This replaced the WineHQ-staging version 1.9.0. I rebooted the system after the change. it did not fix the missing music. In fact, it broke the desktop menu link with an error of 'missing system32\Launch.exe' as best I recall. I was able to run RCT3 by using the CLI to directly start it. When I tried to select an mp3 music file instead of the (non-playing) default .wma music file, the game crashed. With the 'WineHQ-staging' version, it simply didn't play.

As a comparison, the game 'Oblivion' which has had problems in the past with audio and especially background music, works fine with either version of wine. It uses only mp3 music files.

For what it's worth, wine-config only recognizes the pulseaudio system which is the default anyway.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

So try wine-staging 1.9.2. The WineHQ packages are in the same repository as the development ones.
bobg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobg »

dimesio wrote:So try wine-staging 1.9.2. The WineHQ packages are in the same repository as the development ones.
That fixed the menu problem but I still get no music. :( Also, it still crashes when selecting an .mp3 music file. The .wma files simply don't play.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

File a bug.