Black screen in app after update to wine 1.9.2-1

Questions about Wine on Linux
montag_dp
Level 2
Level 2

Black screen in app after update to wine 1.9.2-1

Post by montag_dp »

Hi,

I am using Manjaro Linux. One program that I use Wine for is Moment of Inspiration, a NURBS CAD modeler. See here:

http://moi3d.com/

It used to work fine with no winetricks or workarounds (a.k.a., platinum status, although I don't think it has an entry on WineHQ), but after updating to the latest version of Wine, the graphics window is now black. The rest of the GUI (toolbars, menus, etc.) works fine still. Here is the only output I get:

Code: Select all

rr:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winemp3.acm": libmpg123.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0xe4fc68 1 C) semi-stub
fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0xe4fa38 1 C) semi-stub
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0xe4f944,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0xe4f298 1 C) semi-stub
fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0xe4f9f8 1 C) semi-stub
fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0xe4f858 1 C) semi-stub
fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0xe4f4b8 1 C) semi-stub
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0xe4dc64,0x00000000), stub!
I tried adding an override for the msvcp version that was included with Moment of Inspiration, but it didn't help. Unfortunately, I cleaned my cache and can no longer downgrade to Wine 1.9.1-1, which did not have this problem; otherwise I would do that. Can anyone help?

FYI, there is a free demo of the program available on the website that can be used for testing, if anyone decides to try that.
montag_dp
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Black screen in app after update to wine 1.9.2-1

Post by montag_dp »

Okay, so after some digging I found a way to get old versions of packages on Arch/Manjaro. The problem is that the server that the usual downgrade tool uses is down, so it was only finding local packages, but there's an archive where you can download them manually.

Unfortunately, none of this helped my problem. I tried a few different old versions of wine that I know used to work for this program, and no matter what I do, I have the same problem. So this seems like it must have been caused by some other package in the last software update, though I have no idea what that would be.

I'm still definitely open to ideas if anyone has any suggestions, since now I really don't know what's causing this. The other program I have running with wine still works.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

montag_dp wrote: So this seems like it must have been caused by some other package in the last software update, though I have no idea what that would be.
Graphics drivers are a likely suspect.

I downloaded the trial version of the app from the link you provided, and it works fine here in 1.9.2.
montag_dp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by montag_dp »

dimesio wrote:
montag_dp wrote: So this seems like it must have been caused by some other package in the last software update, though I have no idea what that would be.
Graphics drivers are a likely suspect.

I downloaded the trial version of the app from the link you provided, and it works fine here in 1.9.2.
Thanks for giving it a try. I just solved the issue, actually. I remembered I had changed a setting related to graphics in a configuration file awhile ago, well before the last software update. My computer has intel integrated graphics and I had set the following in /etc/X11/mhwd.d/intel.conf:

Option      "DRI"    "3"
whereas originally it was

Option      "DRI"    "true"
I changed it back and relogged in and now my program is working fine again. I believe this is a Manjaro-specific issue because mhwd is the Manjaro Hardware Detection daemon. This can be marked as solved if this forum has that option (I don't see it -- am I blind, or is it not there? :)). Thanks again for looking into it.