Specific App Issue

Questions about Wine on Linux
jotape1960
Level 2
Level 2

Specific App Issue

Post by jotape1960 »

Hi!!!

I want to know how to fix an specific application issue.

It is about a software called "ZaraRadio". It is a radio automation software for Windows.

It run (past tense) so well into Windows XP, but now I'm working with Ubuntu Studio 15.10 and it doesn't run so fine under Wine HQ.

The main issue is about the scheduled events. It has to read and write some special text files where are references to the full path (name and folder) of the audio files used on the scheduled events.

The problem is when there is a file with references to a folder and/or file name which has Latin characters (ñ, ó, í, á, ~, etc.). When the program finds a reference like this, it truncates the path up the first Latin character.

For example, if the original path is:

C:\Música Pop\2000 - CRISTINA AGUILERA - Candy Man.mp3

The program reads:

C:\M ...(blank spaces, because the ú character)...

Because this, the events doesn't work and all the radio schedule goes to the ...

I guess because the same reason, the software crashes when it has to change from a playlist to another.

Whatever, Can somebody helps me, please?

Is there some kind of *.exe software reverse engineering to fix these issues? ???

Thanks a lot for your time!!!

Greetings & Blessings from Chile!!!!!!!

Juan
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Specific App Issue

Post by lahmbi5678 »

C:\Música Pop\2000 - CRISTINA AGUILERA - Candy Man.mp3
Is that path pointing to a Windows partition or to files in your wine prefix ("~/.wine" on your linux partition)? If it is on a Windows partition, you probably need to mount that partition using some option for the correct codepage (probably something like 1252).

Can you access the files in linux applications, i.e. play them in a linux mp3 player?

You could try to run wine like this:

LC_ALL=es_cl.cp1252 wine yourapp.exe
(cp1252 probably deprecated) or (more recent)
LC_ALL=es_cl.iso88591 wine yourapp.exe

assuming that your system is es_cl (Spanish, Chile) and the correct codepage installed. A command like "locale -a" should show you the installed languages/locales. Maybe you will have to adjust your locale, if so please ask in a Ubuntu forum.
jotape1960
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jotape1960 »

Thanks for your data, but it didn't help me.

I put your line into the Wine command line and the software couldn't find any path at all (a lot of wrong characters appeared with cp1252 and/or iso88591).

The curious thing is that the program can read so well the main song playlists (*.lst and/or *.m3u), with all the Latin characters they have.

It is about the *.seq and/or *.rot files where the problem is.

I tried to attach those files to, maybe, somebody can test it, but the forum doesn't let me upload those kind of files!!! ???

But, if you download and install the free version of the program, you can create it:

1) *.rot (rotations), an special kind of playlist where the audio files will be played one by one, from the first to last audio file, and so and on, but just one audio file per time you call it. It is intended to use as, for example, continuity animations.

2) *.seq (sequences), an special kind of playlist where the audio files will be played all the whole list, from the first to last. It is intended to use as, for example, advertising/commercial breaks.

3) *.lst or *.m3u (standard music playlist), the typical songs playlist.

BTW: The free version of the software can be downloaded from: http://www.zarastudio.es

Greetings & Blessings from Chile

Juan
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

most of posting was only guesswork. You could try
LC_ALL=es_cl.utf8
or
LC_ALL=c

Maybe I'll give Zarastudio a try tomorrow. I'm on a german locale system, so the issue may not appear for me. If all else fails, you still can file a bug in wine's bugzilla.

kind regards
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

sorry for the delay. I did some tests and experienced similar issues. I installed the english version of Zararadio, created a folder with weird characters like "test ő å", copied a mp3 file into it, created a rot file in Zararadio and tried to play it, didn't work.

I got a lot of fixme messages in the console:

Code: Select all

fixme:wmvcore:WMCreateSyncReader ((nil), 1, 0xbddb24): stub
fixme:wmvcore:WMReader_QueryInterface (0x19a5b8)->({15cc68e3-27cc-4ecd-b222-3f5d02d80bd5} 0xbdcac4)
fixme:wmvcore:WMReader_Open (0x19a5b8)->(L"C:\\Program Files\\ZaraSoft\\test o \00e5\\demo.mp3" 0xc1c368 (nil))
fixme:wmvcore:WMReader_Stop (0x19a5b8)
fixme:wmvcore:WMReader_Close (0x19a5b8)
This is probably a bug in wine. Please file a bug in wine's bugzilla. As a tempory workaround you could try to rename the files/folders, i.e. replace the offending characters by
not-accented characters. Of course this isn't a proper solution, the issue needs to be fixed in wine.

When I created a rotation with not offending path and exited Zararadio, I got a popup from Zararadio about failed assert, this may be a bug in Zararadio which should be reported to the developers of Zararadio. It is possible that this assert is triggered by wine/Zararadio combination and may not happen on Windows.
jotape1960
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jotape1960 »

Thanks a lot for your data about your test!!!

Now, you know my problem.

About the errors when we go out from ZaraRadio, it was some of that, from time to time, on Windows 7, not with XP. But, it was an irrelevant error (nothing was lost).

Greetings & Bleesings from Chile!!!!!!!

Juan
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

I'm getting this error/popup almost every time when I switch to another *.rot file or exit the program. So it's definitely an issue. Please contact the Zararadio developers and report it. In the popup they ask people to report issues like this. They may not expect people using Zararadio on wine, but in general most developers are interested in fixing bugs, even if they may have to install linux and wine.

I'm using 32-bit linux and 32-bit wine prefix (wine prefix is basically your .wine folder), maybe that makes a difference. If you are on 64-bit linux, wine by default creates a 64-bit-wineprefix, i.e. a prefix that can run 64-bit (and 32-bit) Windows applications.
jotape1960
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jotape1960 »

I will report this to zararadio developers.

BTW: The most important issue about zararadio under Wine (Linux), to me, is the crash when the program has to change from a playlist to another (into the main player window).

I really can't understand this crash, because the only steps the program has to do to perform this playlist change are:
1) Stops the main player playlist audio file (if there is some "on-the-air").
2) Erase all the content of the current playlist into the main zararadio player.
3) Load the new playlist into the main zararadio player.
That's all!!!

Why the crash? ???

This is the most important issue, because it is essential to the automatic "on-the-air" schedule (the events issue can be "fixed" change the events names and folders; this crash... I can't see how!!!).

Whatever, thanks a lot for your time!!!
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Why the crash? Sometimes wine isn't 100% compatible, that means that wine has to be improved, filing bugs document issues, sooner or later they will be fixed. At the moment the wine project is going to release another stable release, which may delay getting your bug fixed a bit. In some cases wine isn't bug-compatible, that means, quirks in Windows aren't emulated 100%, so a quirky Windows application that happens to work on Windows won't run on wine. Again, this needs to be fixed in wine. On the other hand, it is often possible for developers to avoid using or relying on odd Windows behaviour, so it makes perfect sense to report the issue to the Zararadio developers, too.