Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void

Questions about Wine on Linux
Brutal_Moose
Level 1
Level 1

Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void

Post by Brutal_Moose »

I am a novice at Linux. If you have advice, or an answer to my question, please give a full explanation, so that I may understand it. Please do not omit any steps in the instructions, or I will probably not be able to complete them.

Ubuntu 15.10 laptop.

Using Wine, I installed Battle.net successfully, but then when I launched Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void expansion, it crashed, and produced an error (see attached file). Thanks.
dimesio

Re: Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void

Post by dimesio »

There was no file attached to your post.

If your system is 64 bit, you may be running into https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=39454. Set battle.net to launch the 32 bit client. https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=20882

You didn't mention what Wine version you're using. If it's not the latest development release, upgrade.
Brutal_Moose
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Brutal_Moose »

Yes That works great now! I switched it to 32-bit mode. Thanks that was a quick and easy fix. I wish WINE would tell everybody about this, before it crashes.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Well, is's a workaround, but not a fix. It would be nice, if wine would work with 64bit version of SC2. Especially HotS 32bit tries to use as much memory as it can get. I'm playing SC2 from time to time on Windows XP (the real one, not wine emulation) on a system with 4GB RAM. There's a bug in wine's bugzilla about HotS 32bit crashing probably due to lack of memory. This doesn't happen under Windows XP, but I'm getting even there messages, that the system ran out of memory and needed to increase swap file size. Under wine it just crashes, depending on e.g. graphics details, if you use high details, it's more likely to crash.