World of Warcraft, 6.x.x

Questions about Wine on Linux
matamoscas

World of Warcraft, 6.x.x

Post by matamoscas »

Hi guys,

Just curious, I really want to play Wow on my Debian box, but I find it rather unplayable, or rather, should I say, significantly worse experience than I get from Windows. Now, I would expect that, but it's really, really bad on my linux machine.

My question is, for wine to work decent, do I really need to have "bleeding" edge hardware? Or, shall I say, rather new hardware. My hardware, I admit, is a few years old, but the frame rates I am experiencing are really bad.

My system:
3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt11-1 (2015-05-24) x86_64 GNU/Linux
Debian GNU/Linux 8 \n \l
8 GB RAM
AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 720 Processor
NVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti (rev a1)
all on a SSD drive.
version of Wine is: 1.6.2
Chebanenko Igor
Level 2
Level 2

Re: World of Warcraft, 6.x.x

Post by Chebanenko Igor »

> version of Wine is: 1.6.2

Your Wine is 19 months old. You can try the latest Wine from your distro (1.7.x branch)

https://www.winehq.org/download/
pga256
Level 2
Level 2

Re: World of Warcraft, 6.x.x

Post by pga256 »

In addition to using the latest version of wine, WoW runs with much improved frame rates if you use openGL rather than DirectX.
If you run WoW from the Battle.net client then go to Game Settings -> Additional Command Line Arguments and tick the box. Now enter -opengl in the box and launch the game.
If you don't run via the Battle.net client, edit the config.wtf file in the 'World of Warcraft/WTF' folder. There will be a line starting 'SET GFXAPI = ' Change the value in the quotes to OpenGL and launch.

It is worth noting that some of the in-game cinematics will only display as a blank green screen in OpenGL mode. This is a limitation of WoW's support for OpenGL, rather than a bug with wine.