Installing game broke video.

Questions about Wine on Linux
Dubious Dave

Installing game broke video.

Post by Dubious Dave »

Tried installing old game Might & Magic VI on Fedora 21 64bit KDE and broke the video. What happens now is during the video mode change after logging in and before desktop is shown you have this KDE splash screen that is shifted up about 4 inchs. Also, running the installed game switches to a video mode with the screen shifted up about 4 inches rendering it unplayable. Exiting the game restores the lost area but the resolution is small. Using KDE settings, I can manually return to native resolution. This may be related to the fact that the wine version installed was wine 64 from Fedora repo. I have removed wine attempting to fix the video with no luck.

I have successfully installed the same game on a 32bit Fedora 21 laptop with KDE and on a 32bit Fedora 21 netbook with LXDE.

Can someone help me understand what video settings/files might have been modified?
dimesio

Re: Installing game broke video.

Post by dimesio »

Wine sometimes fails to restore resolution on exiting, which is a known bug in X11, but nothing in plain Wine should permanently change any video settings. The one thing I can think of that might have happened is that you have KDE set to "Restore previous session" on login and it's restoring the previously messed-up settings when you log in again. Try changing it to "Start with an empty session."

If that's not it, report the problem to Wine-Staging, which is what the Fedora packages are built from. It's a separate project. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23535
Dubious Dave

Re: Installing game broke video.

Post by Dubious Dave »

I did try the "Start with empty session" setting, however it did not help. I will try posting on Wine-Staging.