eve online

Questions about Wine on Linux
Patryn
Level 1
Level 1

eve online

Post by Patryn »

is there anyone else having issues launching eve since the new version of wine came out? i cannot get eve to work beyond the launcher and it is largely gimped, ie missing graphics and text. this is off of a fresh ubuntu 14.04 install and all the updates. i am using the recommended drivers for my nvidia card and starting the main exe file doesnt work, the window just crashes out the second it starts to show onscreen.
dimesio

Re: eve online

Post by dimesio »

You need to be more specific than "new version" and "recommended drivers." Exactly what version of Wine are you using, and exactly what graphics drivers (open source or proprietary)?

There various bugs filed for Eve Online, but I don't see any new ones, and the most recent AppDB test report rates it gold for 1.7.44.
Patryn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Patryn »

according to synaptic it is 1.7.44, the drivers are propietary and tested nvidia 331.113. i am not sure what is the issue since i know little of the differences in the various versions of linux. i checked around on the site for anything like my issue but nothing recent is showing. this baffles me due to me wiping ubuntu and reinstalling fresh and eve being the only game via wine i have at present and i am still having the same type of issue. on a side note, is there anywhere i can find info on programming, i hate not understanding, makes me bug you guys more than i would like.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

BeachGeek

Post by BeachGeek »

The Eve Online update on 8/25 ( Codename Galatea ), had various graphics fixes and supposedly some DirectX changes.

Only some of our Eve clients crashed on load. For those we deleted the 'shared resource cache' and downloaded a copy of it. For a single client, you can just start the launcher to download the shared res cache. (supposedly something in the update corrupted some clients)

But we're still seeing screen/graphics freezes during the game play when accessing various windows in game. ex: fitting window, industry window, POS hangars.

Out of 27 clients running on WINE in our corps, only 8 had crashing problem (fixed by deleting cache).
All clients run WINE 1.7.50, and graphics adapters cover AMD/NVidia/Intel. Ubuntu 14.04/14.10/15.10 and Mint ?.?? for OS.

Screen freezing affects only 16 clients of the 27. Currently we can't find what separates the 16 freezers from the 11 that work fine.

Game mechanics continue while screen frozen. Freeze is from 5 to 30 seconds.
CPU stats while screen frozen: user% and iowait remain normal, but sys% increases by 1.3 to 1.5 times normal.
Screen freeze only affects WINE prefix, not system or other prefixes. All our members that use multiple clients, use a prefix for each client. Also for multi-client machines, either all clients are fine or all are afflicted by freeze problem.

We'll continue looking at configs and logs to find a correlation.
BG