FL STUDIO 12 on WINE problems

Questions about Wine on Linux
el_nano
Level 1
Level 1

FL STUDIO 12 on WINE problems

Post by el_nano »

Hi all!!

I'm using FLS 12 32-bit on wine, setted in a 32-bit wineprefix. It works, but some frustrating problems are annoying my recent music sessions.

1) - Some VSTS crashes (randomly): FL Says <<"Plugin" crashed while processing. Disabled.>>, even when VSTS are bridged.
2) - Some VSTS crashes (Like Rob Papen BlueII) after the "Make Bridged" is checked.
In both cases Konsole reports:

Code: Select all

err:ole:CoReleaseMarshalData IMarshal::ReleaseMarshalData failed with error 0x8001011d
and

err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0xb2c360 "?" wait timed out in thread 002d, blocked by 0009, retrying (60 sec)
and

fixme:ntdll:NtCreateJobObject stub: 0x33ea28 1f001f L"C:/Program Files/Image-Line/FL Studio 12/Plugins/Fruity/Generators/Fruity Wrapper/"
FL Debug output reports:

Wrapper says: TBridge.Destroy.
I think the problem is due to the bridge , or some library that does not work well.

If someone could help me i would be very grateful!
Thanks in advance!

Have a nice Week-End!

El_Nano.
L. Rahyen

Re: FL STUDIO 12 on WINE problems

Post by L. Rahyen »

I have tried Rob Papen Blue II 32-bit demo version from here, and it worked out of the box for me (I did not test it much though). However, if I try to enable "Make Bridged" option then it does not work anymore (this may be a bug in Wine, assuming it does work in Windows with this option enabled).

"Some VSTS crashes (randomly)" does not say much. For me, FL Studio 12 and all VSTs I use are stable.

Please provide more details (what VSTs are not stable for you, why you are trying to make any of them bridged). Do you have the issue even if you do not use "Make Bridged" anywhere?
el_nano
Level 1
Level 1

Post by el_nano »

The VSTs crashes more often are: Renegade, Blade, Blue II, Albino 3, Sawer.

I use these VST bridged because the use of CPU (Intel Core 2 Duo P7570 2.26 GHz inside my HP 630 laptop) during the playback of my track reaches more than 90%, causing glitches and slowdowns. If some plugins are bridged listening becomes fluid, but during the session VST stop working suddendly, reporting: "error while processing".

The problem occurs even when the "make bridged" is not selected.

In addition, the RAM monitor inside FL shows 0% usage, but KDE Sysmonitor shows an increase of 600mb after the opening of FL in wine, and nothing else, even during Playback.

Thanks. El_Nano.
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

el_nano wrote:The VSTs crashes more often are: Renegade, Blade, Blue II, Albino 3, Sawer.
I have used Sawer many times in my own projects, and it never crashed for me. And I have not managed to crash demo of Blue II (unless I check "Make bridged" - then it crashes immediately). So, not sure why they crash in your case (assuming you have "Make bridged" unchecked everywhere). Perhaps this happens because you have slow CPU and try to use too many VSTs? Please try to create new empty project with only Sawer VST (make sure "Make bridged" option is unselected), and use it for a while to check if it will crash or remain stable.
el_nano wrote:In addition, the RAM monitor inside FL shows 0% usage, but KDE Sysmonitor shows an increase of 600mb after the opening of FL in wine, and nothing else, even during Playback.
This is normal. FL Studio always shows 0MB in Wine. So please keep using the system monitor to see the real information.
el_nano wrote:I use these VST bridged because the use of CPU (Intel Core 2 Duo P7570 2.26 GHz inside my HP 630 laptop) during the playback of my track reaches more than 90%, causing glitches and slowdowns. If some plugins are bridged listening becomes fluid, but during the session VST stop working suddendly, reporting: "error while processing".
I see. Unfortunately, FL bridge doesn't seem to work properly in Wine at the moment. However, I have used jBridge successfully. I use it rarely (usually when I need to force GUI updates or force non-GUI mode in some VSTs to workaround bugs in Wine), but so far it worked well for me, so you may want to try jBridge instead of FL bridge. It is not free, but you can try demo first to check if it works for your purpose. Only issue I have encountered with it is that it may crash after choosing directory with plugins you want to bridge, but it remembers chosen location when you run it again, so just pressing Enter in the dialog box without using mouse worked for me as workaround (generating files is one time operation, so it is not big deal; after jBridged files are generated, you can use them in FL Studio as normal VSTs).

Another alternative (besides upgrading PC) is to try external VST host (for example "VSTHost", or native VST host such as Festige). Please note that I never tried to use external VST host for MIDI Out in FL Studio, so I do not know how well this will work in practice. Obvious drawback is that unlike using bridges you have to manage external VSTs outside of FL Studio.

Please let me know if you need step-by-step guide about any of above alternatives. Of course, none of them are as good for your purpose as FL Bridge, but I couldn't find a workaround to make FL Bridge to work in Wine properly.
el_nano
Level 1
Level 1

Post by el_nano »

Dear L. Rahyen, thanks for your precious support.

I will not take advantage of your time, so i will try to use Sawer for a while, and to get jBridge as alternative to FL Bridge, taking into account your kind availability. In any case, i'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks so much!
C u soon,
El_Nano.