Wine not working after a restart

Questions about Wine on Linux
Mav3rek

Wine not working after a restart

Post by Mav3rek »

Hello.

I just installed Wine 1.7.44 on Ubuntu 14.04.

It ran fine immediately after I installed it. I was able to run Windows applications and install some programs and run them with no problem. After I reboot my device however, when I try to run any application with wine I get a long list of error messages and nothing happens.

I even tried to run winecfg just to get something to work, and I still get the same error message.

I will edit the post with the error message, but it is something to the effect of wine: Call from 0x7b83ba4e to unimplemented function ntoskrnl.exe.KeQueryPriorityThread, aborting.

Any help is very much appreciated.
dimesio

Re: Wine not working after a restart

Post by dimesio »

It sounds like one of your apps installed something that in Windows is supposed to start on boot. In Wine, that means it will load every time you run anything in that wineprefix, and in this case that something is apparently crashing in an unimplemented function. Delete the wineprefix and start over. You will have to figure out which of your apps did this. Installing them to separate wineprefixes will make that easier. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#wineprefix
Mav3rek

Re: Wine not working after a restart

Post by Mav3rek »

Ahhhh, that makes sense. I'm new to Wine and Linux for that matter so I didn't know about the whole startup thing.

One of the programs I installed was PowerISO because I need to mount a couple CDs to install some other software. So it try's to load a virtual drive on windows startup, which is what is probably messing up wine. I'll look over your link/suggestion and let you know.

Thanks for the help!