Unable to install and run FXCM Trading Station 2 on Ubuntu

Questions about Wine on Linux
danielpalos
Level 1
Level 1

Unable to install and run FXCM Trading Station 2 on Ubuntu

Post by danielpalos »

Trying to install FXCM TS2 application using wine-1.7.45.

Unable to install due to error dialog box indicating:
System error: unknown error 0x800040001
Description:
Source:
Anything I should check for? There were no backtraces from the installer.

I had to compile wine-1.7.45 and run the make install commands.

I ran the commands from the Downloads directory in the wine-1.7.45 subdirectory where I extracted the files to and ran the compile.

Everything seemed to run ok when installing wine-1.7.45.
dimesio

Re: Unable to install and run FXCM Trading Station 2 on Ubun

Post by dimesio »

Do you mean no terminal output at all, or just no backtrace? No terminal output would be unusual, and inconsistent with my test of the FXCM TS2 installer. If there was any terminal output, post it.

Was this a clean wineprefix? If it wasn't, try that.

When you built Wine, what version of GCC did you use, what flags did you pass to ./configure, and were there any messages from ./configure about missing libraries that you ignored? From your bug reports I gather you were previously using a distro Wine package; did you uninstall it before installing your compiled version? Do Wine's builtin programs work--winecfg, notepad, etc.?
danielpalos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by danielpalos »

Terminal output from the compile and wine-1.7.45 install completed successfully. The only errors reported were from the application (FXTS2Install.EXE) as described above in the previous post.

FXTS2Install.EXE only produced a dialog box with the above info. and without any other output available from that dialog box for backtrace output. I am assuming it is native to the windows application and potentially not addressed by wine to preclude the install error.

In addition, the application no longer attempts to launch as it did previously upon checking the launch after install option from the dialog box.

In the past, it had more to do with user preferences/settings not able to initialize.

Anything I can do to generate more useful info. for the developers?
danielpalos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by danielpalos »

dimesio wrote:Was this a clean wineprefix? If it wasn't, try that.

When you built Wine, what version of GCC did you use, what flags did you pass to ./configure, and were there any messages from ./configure about missing libraries that you ignored? From your bug reports I gather you were previously using a distro Wine package; did you uninstall it before installing your compiled version? Do Wine's builtin programs work--winecfg, notepad, etc.?
It was a fresh install of wine-1.7.45 on the second attempt. I did receive errors from the initial compile attempt since I had not downloaded flex and bison and the x. files for video.

I deleted the virtual drive through winetricks for the second install attempt and assume it should be a clean install after that since wine is supposed to clean up any previous versions and install a fresh copy of the version being used.

It looked like a clean compile since I got no error that stopped the application or queried me; i did not read every line generated from the compile because it took a few hours to run on the laptop i am using.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

I'm not asking about popup messages. Run the installer in a clean 32 bit wineprefix (delete the old one, or install to a different one) and post whatever messages appear in the terminal, including the command you use to run it.
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#wineprefix
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#32_bit_wineprefix
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#run_from_terminal

Also, you didn't answer my questions about whether you uninstalled your distro's Wine package before installing the Wine you built yourself, and whether or not Wine's builtin programs run.
danielpalos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by danielpalos »

dimesio wrote:I'm not asking about popup messages. Run the installer in a clean 32 bit wineprefix (delete the old one, or install to a different one) and post whatever messages appear in the terminal, including the command you use to run it.
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#wineprefix
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#32_bit_wineprefix
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#run_from_terminal

Also, you didn't answer my questions about whether you uninstalled your distro's Wine package before installing the Wine you built yourself, and whether or not Wine's builtin programs run.
This is the methodology employed based on my understanding of the software:

It was a fresh install of wine-1.7.45 on the second attempt.

I deleted the virtual drive through winetricks for the second install attempt and assume it should be a clean install after that since wine is supposed to clean up any previous versions and install a fresh copy of the version being used.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

danielpalos wrote: This is the methodology employed based on my understanding of the software:

It was a fresh install of wine-1.7.45 on the second attempt.

You are confusing deleting the wineprefix with uninstalling a Wine package. They are not the same thing. What you did with winetricks was the former; I am asking about the latter. Winetricks can't do that, and installing Wine you built yourself will also not uninstall any binary packages.

So: did you uninstall your distro's Wine package through your package manager before building Wine and installing that version with "make install"? If the answer is no, you need to uninstall everything--both packaged and self-built versions--and start over.
danielpalos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by danielpalos »

Yes, I deleted the programs that showed up in the dialog boxes by checking them.

The error is an OLE error; i think the compile completed successfully since I get no wine install errors but an application OLE error.

It may have to do with the connection to the price server. Connecting to price server is one of the functions when initializing and shows progress as status on the splash screen when the application initializes.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Your original post said you were unable to install the app; your latest post makes it sound like you were able to install it, but it doesn't run. Which is it?

Post terminal output from trying to run whatever isn't working (the installer or the app).

FYI, I had no problems installing or starting the app. I don't have an account, so I can't get past the login prompt, but I do get one, and if I type in random info for the login and password, it contacts the server and then returns "Incorrect login or password." There may well be other bugs after logging in, but at least as far as I can test, it appears to be working properly.