steam and its games

Questions about Wine on Linux
Patryn
Level 1
Level 1

steam and its games

Post by Patryn »

I am trying to get my programs to work on steam through wine since most of them are windows based. steam is working well enough for me to install them but there has to be something i am missing to get them working, i am new to the linux type systems and to wine. is there a way to set individual programs once installed to the wine version? supreme commander and galactic civilizations 3 are the two that i have been trying to focus on lately. supreme commander is starting but crashes out after a brief black screen, though the process seems to be still running somewhere. galactic civilizations 3 doesnt seem ever successfully get through the first time setup, it is stuck on the vc 2012 library installation step even though it is there. is there a wine guide to dummies, cause i could definitely use it. i am on ubuntu 14.04 lts, 8 gb ram, amd 4100 quad core and a nvidia gt 640 with nvidia drivers installed.
dimesio

Re: steam and its games

Post by dimesio »

You didn't mention what Wine version you're using; if it's not the latest development release, upgrade. Check the AppDB for information on the specific games you are trying to run.
Patryn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Patryn »

sorry, it does appear to be the latest stable one, which i believe is 1.6.2.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Upgrade to the latest development release, which is 1.7.43.
Patryn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Patryn »

tried that and i am getting hung up on the 32-bit dev libraries, tried to install those and it says the dependencies are unmet for mesa6 but everything looks like it is there according to the software center for ubuntu. i even reinstalled ubuntu thinking it was something i did while trying to install wine and other programs before asking here for help. is there a code line i can put in my software updater that is in ubuntu's system setting that can pull the 1.7 wine version?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Patryn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Patryn »

now does this run by itself or do i need to redownload the wine compatability loader from ubuntu's software center? currently i am waiting for the package configuration to let me get past the legal bit (aka eula or whatever), so far only the link to the web version and scrolling up and down the page is the only way it responds at present.
Patryn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Patryn »

by the way it is the legal section for the ttf-mscorefonts-installer, i simply cannot get it to progress beyond it for some reason.
Patryn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Patryn »

ok maybe it is working now, dont know what i did to fix it but it seems to be behaving now.