Problems installing Adobe Illustrator through Wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
guferr
Level 1
Level 1

Problems installing Adobe Illustrator through Wine

Post by guferr »

I'm not sure if this is the best place, because this is an multiple-issue problem.

Every version of Adobe Illustrator gives me a different error when i try to install it.

This issues goes with several other adobe softwares, and so i found that i could just use the old portable versions of them, and they work.

But Illustrator CS3 portable (the one that is closest to work with wine) gives me the following error (on a message window):
Scripting System:
Unable to load required Type Library
C:\Program Files (x86)\ThinstallPlugins\scripting.dll
And on the terminal, the error is this one:

Code: Select all

err:ole:TLB_ReadTypeLib Loading of typelib L"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\ThinstallPlugins\\scripting.dll" failed with error 2
And this same error occurs whether there is a dll file with that name on that path or not, what is weird, it should at least give me another error then.

On forums about the error, i found out it had something to do with oleaut32.dll, and so i deleted it from system32 and syswow64, and tried again, but nothing changed.

I also deleted all other ole dll's, but the same error comes up. And this problem doesn't happen on Windows.

I have tried it with every Windows version possible on Wine. My Wine is version 1.6.2.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
dimesio

Re: Problems installing Adobe Illustrator through Wine

Post by dimesio »

Adobe does not make "portable" versions of any of its software. If you want help with the legal version, start by upgrading Wine to the latest development release. Otherwise, I will close this topic; pirated software is not supported.
guferr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by guferr »

I know the portable versions aren't legal, but the legal versions just doesn't work at all, and i see no way to solve the issues.

Updating to the development version is a good idea? I'm using the latest stable version, and i have more than six Windows softwares installed on it and working. Isn't it risky to update it to a development version?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

guferr wrote:Isn't it risky to update it to a development version?
The only risk is if there's a regression that affects one or more of your apps. Check the AppDB and Bugzilla to see if any have been reported.