Games that install from CD installing for use with CD only

Questions about Wine on Linux
villandra
Level 2
Level 2

Games that install from CD installing for use with CD only

Post by villandra »

Every single game/ application I install from CD, using Wine, or using Crossover, it doesn't matter, that offers the option to install or to play from CD, is installing so that it can only be played from CD. I have tried using different install folders. I have made sure I am choosing the correct options. With one program I've tried both the CD image and the CD in file format. The problem is the same in both Mint 17.1 and Ubuntu 14.04. It doesn't matter if I point the installer to the CD or to an install file.

Any way to fix this?

Thanks!
dimesio

Re: Games that install from CD installing for use with CD on

Post by dimesio »

Wine version? If it's not the latest development release, upgrade. If the problem persists, post terminal output from running one of the installers. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log
villandra
Level 2
Level 2

Post by villandra »

1.6.2 That's your current stable version. You don't HAVE a way to download the deb package from your web site. I installed the software source you give on your installation sources and then ran sudo apt-get install wine1.6 .

This piece of software has actually installed and run perfectly in Wine on all three of my other computers. This one, I'm having trouble in both Mint KDE 17.1 and Kubuntu 14.04. This is the only time lately I've used the KDE interface.

1.7 isn't stable, it doesn't have all the fixes and my software reportedly won't run on it.

I've both installed 1.6.2 and THEN Crossover, and, more recently, installed Wine from Crossover. No difference in how the installation turns out.

I'm not able to install it from the command line. I got it to go through the motions but it failed to actually copy over a single file. So I can't give you a log of what it's doing when it installs it.

It may actually make a difference which one I use because if I use setup.EXE it looks for my CD in a stranger location than when I run autorun.exe .

On my Windows 7 computer, regedit.exe, HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software, Individual Software, Typing Instructor, gives me HDPath type REG_SZ F:\PROGRA~1\TYPING~1, which is the correct path.

Now, Crossover manages to correctly specify the cdrom at d:\, but it still requires the CD.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

villandra wrote: This piece of software has actually installed and run perfectly in Wine on all three of my other computers. This one, I'm having trouble in both Mint KDE 17.1 and Kubuntu 14.04. This is the only time lately I've used the KDE interface.
Was it the same Wine version on the computers that worked?
1.7 isn't stable, it doesn't have all the fixes and my software reportedly won't run on it.
You have it backwards. Bugs are fixed in the development branch; it's the stable branch that doesn't have all the fixes. Are you saying there is a known regression affecting your software? What software is this, and what is the bug number?
I'm not able to install it from the command line. I got it to go through the motions but it failed to actually copy over a single file. So I can't give you a log of what it's doing when it installs it.

Post the terminal output you do get, including the command used to run the installer.
It may actually make a difference which one I use because if I use setup.EXE it looks for my CD in a stranger location than when I run autorun.exe .
Exactly where does it look in each case? Did you map your mounted cd to a drive letter in winecfg?
Now, Crossover manages to correctly specify the cdrom at d:\, but it still requires the CD.
Crossover isn't supported here; you might want to contact their support channels.