Wine default settings always ON

Questions about Wine on Linux
panjablon
Level 1
Level 1

Wine default settings always ON

Post by panjablon »

Hi,
I am able to play Baldurs gate EE and Diablo II on my Linux mint 17.1 (Wine 1.6.2), but there is a small problem. Both game run under default settings from Wine configuration and I need different settings for these games (virtual desktop). Even through I tried to "add application" and set them separately, both game are still using default settings. Any ideas how to fix this?
dimesio

Re: Wine default settings always ON

Post by dimesio »

Possibly this bug: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25257

The default needs to be no virtual desktop, then you should be able to set virtual desktops individually for the two games. If that doesn't work, install the games to separate wineprefixes.
panjablon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by panjablon »

unfortunately the easy option does not work, so I will have to learn how to work with prefixes. So this is my plan, can you tell me of it is OK?
I will create new prefix like this: WINEPREFIX=/home/nameofmyPC/.nameOfNewWineprefixFile winecfg
Then I will copy game files to this new prefix.
But there is one thing I do not understand. With two Wine prefixes, how do I "switch" between them, if I want to run Wine config for both of them separately?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Unless your game is a simple exe that doesn't need to be installed, you can't simply copy the game files. You need to install the game in the new wineprefix. You do that by specifying the wineprefix in the command line when you run the installer; you also need to do that to run winecfg, regedit, etc. for the non-default wineprefix.
panjablon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by panjablon »

Both games were already copied into current prefix and they work fine.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

If everything worked fine you wouldn't be asking for help here.
panjablon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by panjablon »

I was able to run them, but I was not able to config them separately in Wine configuration and that is what I am trying to solve here. So lets pretend that I have never said: "Then I will copy game files...", but I said: "Then I would install them into the new prefix". And from that point, I have only one question. If I run Wine configuration, I will be configuring the original prefix, right? So, how can I use Wine configuration for the second prefix, that I have just made?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Specify the wineprefix in the command line the same way you did when you created the new wineprefix. You will also need to do that to run the game from the new wineprefix.
panjablon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by panjablon »

OK, it is working now, although it is complicated as is everything in Linux :D Thanks for the help