Installing wine mono 4.5.6 without GUI

Questions about Wine on Linux
suchja
Level 1
Level 1

Installing wine mono 4.5.6 without GUI

Post by suchja »

Hi,

I'm trying to setup wine without any user interaction and GUI. So far it finally seems to work, but at

Code: Select all

wine wineboot --init
wine always shows a dialog that mono for wine is missing. According to documentation I downloaded wine-mono-4.5.6.msi and stored it as /usr/share/wine/mono/wine-mono-4.5.6.msi. So I assumed that wine will use this msi and install wine-mono during startup without any user interaction, but the dialog still pops up.

I double checked it and it looks pretty similar to the gecko stuff. Also wine is installed in /usr/bin.

All this is done on a debian jessie system with standard packages of wine (e.g. wine version 1.6.2).

Is wine 1.6.2 not working with wine-mono 4.5.6? Is there an official debian package for wine-mono? I searched the debian packages, but couldn't find anything? According to documentation wine should download the proper wine-mono. How is this done without any user interaction?

Thanks and regards
Jan
dimesio

Re: Installing wine mono 4.5.6 without GUI

Post by dimesio »

Wine-mono 4.5.6 started with Wine 1.7.38; you can't use it with older versions. You need whatever version of wine-mono that 1.6.2 uses. I think it was 0.0.8, but I'm not really sure. You could just download all the wine-mono packages and place them in /usr/share/wine/mono. If Wine doesn't find mono locally, it's supposed to download it from SourceForge, but that is unreliable.
suchja
Level 1
Level 1

Post by suchja »

Thanks dimesio, with wine-mono-0.0.8.msi it finally works. Is there any documentation showing which version of wine-mono is compatible to which version of wine? If not, how can I extract those information. As I spent quite some time on it, I would be willing to gather all the information, put them together in a matrix and contribute them to the project.

What do you think?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

You would have to go through all the release announcements and note which ones mention an updated version of wine-mono, and construct a table based on that.

IMO, it would be useful to have that information on http://wiki.winehq.org/Mono, similar to what's on http://wiki.winehq.org/Gecko for wine-gecko.