Windows screensavers on Linux using wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
masterfu678
Level 2
Level 2

Windows screensavers on Linux using wine

Post by masterfu678 »

I am using Linux Mint, and recently I had successfully got most of my Windows screensaver running on Linux using wine 1.7 and with the terminal command wine ~/.wine/(random file path here) /s

But my question is, what is the script to make the screensaver I want to automatically run? I'm looking for a script like this:

1. Run the terminal command after a specific set amount of time
2. When I am watching a video, regardless fullscreen or not, the terminal command won't run at all

I'm new to Linux so I don't know how to make a script like this, but I know that it is definitely possible.
masterfu678
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Windows screensavers on Linux using wine

Post by masterfu678 »

Just a little clarification on my number 1, I meant a specific set amount of time when no mouse movement is being registered, like you are away from your computer or fell asleep, whatever.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I figured I'd ask it anyway since this does involve Wine.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

I found this which lets you run any command as a screen saver: https://woozle.org/~neale/src/xss.html

Building requires (at least) libxss-dev on debian for /usr/include/X11/extensions/scrnsaver.h

Then 'xset s 90' to set a delay of 90 seconds and for example 'xss wine C:\\sspipes.scr /s' will start the pipes screensaver after 90 seconds of inactivity. (I copied it from an XP install to test.)

(Locking the screen i.e. requiring a password is a little more involved but the page has an example for that if you need it, I didn't test it though.)
masterfu678
Level 2
Level 2

Post by masterfu678 »

spoon0042 wrote:I found this which lets you run any command as a screen saver: https://woozle.org/~neale/src/xss.html

Building requires (at least) libxss-dev on debian for /usr/include/X11/extensions/scrnsaver.h

Then 'xset s 90' to set a delay of 90 seconds and for example 'xss wine C:\\sspipes.scr /s' will start the pipes screensaver after 90 seconds of inactivity. (I copied it from an XP install to test.)

(Locking the screen i.e. requiring a password is a little more involved but the page has an example for that if you need it, I didn't test it though.)
looks very sophisticated, but I know this is probably what I am looking for, thank you very much!!