Media Console "serious problem" so I can't play audio

Questions about Wine on Linux
kauri
Level 2
Level 2

Media Console "serious problem" so I can't play audio

Post by kauri »

Hi,
I get an error message when I try to play content I've downloaded via Overdrive (a program for accessing library digital media).

"The program MediaConsole.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close... This can be cause by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine..."

I've attached a file with the full error details in it. I've tried changing the XP version under Wine configure but it hasn't made any difference.

I'm new to Wine and have a very limited IT ability. (New to Linux last year.) I used PlayOnLinux to install windows media 10, which is required to get the DRM to get Overdrive to work. This took several goes but seems to work fine now, so I'm not keen to uninstall it.

System details:
Wine 1.7.38 (this is the most recent one I seem to be able to install successfully)
Ubuntu XFCE interface
Latitude Dell 620M

Some of the error details (I'm unable to attach the whole file as a new member here and I don't know what part if most useful...)
"System information:
Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0xfff4f2e8 in 32-bit code (0xfff4f2e8).
Register dump:
CS:0073 SS:007b DS:007b ES:007b FS:0033 GS:003b
EIP:fff4f2e8 ESP:0033ead4 EBP:0033eb6c EFLAGS:00210206( R- -- I - -P- )
EAX:0033ebd0 EBX:00000000 ECX:00425db1 EDX:0033eb28
ESI:0033eb38 EDI:00000000
Stack dump:
0x0033ead4: 7c257062 0033ebd0 00000038 7c259c4c
0x0033eae4: 00000000 00000002 0033eb28 0033eb38
0x0033eaf4: 0033eb08 0033eb48 00649328 00649328
0x0033eb04: 00425f20 00000000 00000000 00000000
0x0033eb14: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
0x0033eb24: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
Backtrace:
=>0 0xfff4f2e8 (0x0033eb6c)
Wine build: wine-1.7.38
Platform: i386
Host system: Linux
Host version: 3.13.0-49-generic"

Thank you for any help
dimesio

Re: Media Console "serious problem" so I can't play audio

Post by dimesio »

PlayOnLinux is not supported here; this forum is for plain Wine only.

OverDrive will install in plain Wine if you install wmp10 with winetricks first. The security update for WMP does not work, and OverDrive will not play protected WMA/WMV files. It will play MP3 files. http://help.overdrive.com/customer/port ... drive-app-
kauri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kauri »

Thanks for your help. There aren't any wmp apps available in my winetricks (1.7.38), which I found confusing and it's why I had to download PlayOnLinux to get wmp10. Is there something I can do to correct the situation?

I downloaded Wine from WineHQ, the version for Ubuntu (I'm on 14.04 with XFCE interface).

The file I successfully downloaded through Overdrive but that I can't get to play is an MP3. The error message refers to Wine.

Also, on the Overdrive link you mention (which was among the ones I've been referring to), it says wmp10 should be pre-installed (implying before installing Wine)...
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

There aren't any wmp apps available in my winetricks (1.7.38),
It's been in winetricks for years, and should definitely be in the version you have. If you were using their awful GUI, you were probably looking in the wrong submenu. Open a terminal and run

Code: Select all

sh winetricks wmp10
it says wmp10 should be pre-installed
It needs to be installed before installing OverDrive.
kauri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kauri »

Yes I must be using the winetricks GUI. Result of running the code you suggested:
sh: 0: Can't open winetricks
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Try it without the sh.
kauri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kauri »

That works, code runs and wmp starts to install; then after agreeing to wmp/Microsoft terms I get an error message:
Windows Media Player Codecs Setup
Microsoft Windows Media Player 7 or greater is required for this installation. Please install Microsoft Windows Media Player then run this setup again.

In the terminal, the last section of code is:
2015-04-14 21:12:22 (402 KB/s) - 'WM9Codecs9x.exe’ saved [1186032/1186032]

Setting Windows version to win2k
Executing winetricks_early_wine regedit C:\windows\Temp\_wmp10\set-winver.reg
Executing wine WM9Codecs9x.exe
Setting Windows version to winxp
Executing winetricks_early_wine regedit C:\windows\Temp\_wmp10\set-winver.reg
------------------------------------------------------
wmp10 install completed, but installed file /home/[name]/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32/l3codecp.acm not found
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

kauri wrote:That works, code runs and wmp starts to install; then after agreeing to wmp/Microsoft terms I get an error message:
Windows Media Player Codecs Setup
Microsoft Windows Media Player 7 or greater is required for this installation. Please install Microsoft Windows Media Player then run this setup again.
You should get a popup asking to install the wmp7 codecs, not an error message. I just tested it, and it works as expected on my system in 1.7.40.

Try again with a clean wineprefix.
kauri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kauri »

How do I get a "clean wineprefix"?
kauri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kauri »

Running the code below didn't work: "command not found". (And I don't know how to use it if it did create a new prefix.)
wineprefixcreate ~/.newwineprefix
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine.tmp wineprefixcreate
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

You must be reading some very old instructions; wineprefixcreate has been deprecated for years.

Follow the instructions in the FAQ. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#32_bit_wineprefix
kauri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kauri »

I don't understand the information given in the FAQ. I tried to guess how to replace the code suggested in the FAQ with the "actual path" and this code ran:
wine: created the configuration directory '/home/[name]/wineprefix'
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyIpInterfaceChange (family 0, callback 0x69e6d901, context 0x5f3de8, init_notify 0, handle 0xebe7a4): stub
fixme:iphlpapi:CancelMibChangeNotify2 (handle (nil)): stub
wine: configuration in '/home/[name]/wineprefix' has been updated.

I'm not sure what to do next as there's still no wmp10 in winetricks and I'm not able to run any more commands for some reason (nothing happens and the $ sign isn't appearing).

I'm on a 32-bit system
kauri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kauri »

I don't know what happened, but Overdrive will now play an MP3, though with highly distorted sound.
So wmp10 must finally have the DRM working. Is there a simple fix for the sound distortion, through wine?
(I've still just got the GUI version of winetricks and no wmp10 listed among its apps.)
Thanks
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The console output you posted is normal for wineprefix creation. You did it correctly.

There is only one winetricks, which can be used either with a GUI or from the command line. You can list all available verbs from the command line with

Code: Select all

winetricks list-all
You are confused about DRM. MP3s are not DRM-protected, which is why they can be played. You will not be able to play protected WMA/WMV files.

In what way is the sound distorted? Post terminal output from playing an MP3.
kauri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kauri »

Thank you for the clarification re MP3s and DRM.

Rather than create a new wineprefix I think I must have reconfigured the existing one, and I wondered if that somehow could have caused the sound distortion issue?

The sound is very broken up, sort of sped up but very broken as well - it's not possible to distinguish the words. Adjusting the speed of the player doesn't help. I did the winetricks list all command and can see wmp9 & 10 listed, thanks.

How do I get a terminal output from playing an MP3?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

After you created the new wineprefix, did you install WMP10 and OverDrive to it? When using a wineprefix other than the default you have to specify it in the command line; if you aren't doing that, you may still be running the app installed in the original wineprefix with the incomplete WMP installation.

To get terminal output: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log.
kauri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kauri »

I don't think I created a new wineprefix, I think I reconfigured the existing one. wmp10 then seemed to automatically load, perhaps from a previous bit of script. No I haven't reinstalled Overdrive. I only seem to have one wineprefix and it still has Overdrive in it.

Sorry, I'm really confused by all this, and not managing to understand the FAQ information - I don't know how to figure out the file path for overdrive and wmp. In my menu wmp10 and Overdrive for Windows appear under wine\programs
So does that mean the overdrive filepath would be c:\home\[name]\wine\programs\overdriveforwindows and c:\home\[name]\wine\programs\windowsmediaplayer?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

If you don't have anything else installed in it that you want to keep, delete that wineprefix and start over. Otherwise, create a separate wineprefix and install WMP10 and OverDrive to that.

Normally apps are installed in a subdirectory of Program Files, same as they would be on Windows. WMP10 should be in /path/to/wineprefix/drive_c/Program Files/Windows Media Player (use the actual path to the wineprefix).
kauri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kauri »

I uninstalled the apps that were in Wine and used the software package manager to remove Wine. When I reinstalled Wine all the apps automatically reappeared (wmp10, adobe digital editions, notepad etc), I then reinstalled Overdrive but it didn't work again. I then uninstalled everything again and extra commands to remove things (I used the commands in the FAQ to remove the apps in Wine first).

Then I re-installed everything, getting wmp10 with the command you suggested through the terminal, then getting overdrive. But I still have the same broken/distorted sound issue as before.

Is there another step I'm missing? I'm using the default wineprefix. I'd like to post a terminal output from playing an MP3, but I haven't managed to figure out the correct file path to write for it to happen. My programs are in the default setup.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Uninstalling Wine does not delete any wineprefixes; this is consistent with how packages are normally handled in Linux: uninstalling does not remove configuration files.

A wineprefix is just a directory; you can delete it, move it, rename it, perform any other operations on it, in your file manager, the same way you would any other directory. You can also browse it in your file manager to find where your app is installed, which is what you need to do. Since you are using the default wineprefix, you will have to set your file manager to show hidden files.
kauri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kauri »

I've set my file manager to show hidden files - what do I need to do now?
The sound distortion is affecting MP3s played in Overdrive and wmp10, but not in Rhythmbox.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Browse the .wine folder and look through the subdirectories for the main executable for OverDrive. It is probably in a separate folder under Program Files. This is no different than looking for a specific file in Windows.
kauri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kauri »

The .exe files in that OverDrive folder are: MediaConsole, CDBurnWizard and TransferWizard. What do I need to do?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

MediaConsole seems like the one most likely to be the main exe, so try that.
kauri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kauri »

I'm not sure what you want me to do with it, but when I double-click on it the OverDrive media console opens (and plays faulty sound).