Battle.net trying to look like a 5 dimensional object

Questions about Wine on Linux
achobanov
Level 1
Level 1

Battle.net trying to look like a 5 dimensional object

Post by achobanov »

Hello,

I am a recent Linux user and so far I find it very interesting. I got up to the point that I want to play some Hearthstone and of course that led up to wine. Now I have read a couple of post saying the game is straightforward and pretty simple to get working, but after half a day reading and testing I still stumble at a very specific issue, the likes of which I can not come across in the internet. The title of this topic describes the issue in an interesting fashion, but basically my Battle.net window is split by a diagonal line and is displaying twice, the same half of a reversed object of what Battle.net should look like. As this description is only a tiny bit unclear - please refer to the picture below to get a better hold on what I am talking about.

Battle.net would always look that way - I tried installing, re-installing, installing without the library overrides; I tried installing via wine, wine1.7 and PlayOnLinux ( with respectively wine 1.7.17 and 1.7.40 ) . I tried re-installing wine and rebooting ( I come from windows after all ) - none of it helped. Battle.net seems to be functional, because I can click some stuff and it changes articles, I can even scroll, but I can not get to the play button, or the downloading bar, so i never tried running HS at all.

I tried browsing for this specific issue with no success what so ever. So here I am now. You guys have any ideas?

Thanks,
Alex
Attachments
Bnet1.png
dimesio

Re: Battle.net trying to look like a 5 dimensional object

Post by dimesio »

That's a known bug in Mesa that's already been fixed upstream. https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=84651
achobanov
Level 1
Level 1

Post by achobanov »

Could you help point me how to solve my problem? Obviously installing the latest mesa should do it, but I can't manage to do so.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The only other solution I know of would be to replace your graphics card with an Nvidia or AMD one.

Ask on your distro's support forum how to upgrade Mesa. It's not a Wine question.
achobanov
Level 1
Level 1

Post by achobanov »

I do have a Nvidia GPU - GT 650M
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Use the proprietary driver.
masterfu678
Level 2
Level 2

Post by masterfu678 »

I think you are on Ubuntu or one of it's flavors.
I fixed this by adding the Oibaf PPA and installed mesa 10.6, or whatever is the latest.

Oibaf PPA terminal command: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers && sudo apt-get update

Then go to the Synoptic Package Manager and search for the latest mesa and upgrade. Just to make sure, use the glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version" terminal command to check your mesa version.

By default, it should say you either have 10.1 installed (trusty), or 10.3 (utopic), I think at 10.3 this issue is already fixed, but it is always good to have the latest mesa driver since it is a very important system file for Ubuntu, without it, Ubuntu won't even boot!! I learned that the hard way, removing mesa completely and broke my system, had to reinstall, I'm on Linux Mint actually, but it is still using Ubuntu as a base.

I found this entire solution from that thread dimesio posted, I read the whole thing and did some google search myself. I even stayed up late one night trying to build mesa 10.5 from a tar.bz2 file(NOT FUN AT ALL!!!), or commonly known as a "tarball" file , but then I found out that the Oibaf PPA already has the latest pre-build mesa drivers.

Try it!! You won't be disappointed.
achobanov
Level 1
Level 1

Post by achobanov »

Thanks for your answer man. Yep I'm on mint. I solved my issue however. Turns out that looking at the command line output helps out, since I saw a line failing, because of package "p11-kit-modules:i386" missing. I installed and it worked like a charm.
masterfu678
Level 2
Level 2

Post by masterfu678 »

achobanov wrote:Thanks for your answer man. Yep I'm on mint. I solved my issue however. Turns out that looking at the command line output helps out, since I saw a line failing, because of package "p11-kit-modules:i386" missing. I installed and it worked like a charm.
no problem, glad that your problem is fixed.