Out of memory error when installing Quickbooks

Questions about Wine on Linux
Winot

Out of memory error when installing Quickbooks

Post by Winot »

I need to view some accounting data files produced by an old version of Quickbooks (3.0). I've got the installation files for Quickbooks 3.0 but it will only run on Windows XP or Windows 95 and I do not have either of those. I thought I might be able to install it using Linux + WINE, so installed PCLinuxOS and WINE in a Virtualbox virtual machine on Windows 7. :?:

I've been unable to install Quickbooks, though. When I run install.exe it brings up the installation window with options, but when I click the button to start the install it gives the error: "Out of memory. Please close some applications and restart install."
I have given the PCLinuxOS image 2GB of ram in the Virtualbox settings, there are no other programs running on PCLinuxOS and the Quickbooks installation files are only 3MB in total. So I expect that this might have something to do with how the Quickbooks installation tests available memory rather than available memory being the real problem.

I have little experience with Linux though, so any ideas would be appreciated.
dimesio

Re: Out of memory error when installing Quickbooks

Post by dimesio »

Try setting the Windows version to 95 or 98 in winecfg.
Winot

Post by Winot »

I've tried setting WINE to Win 95 and XP but no change.
Winot

Post by Winot »

OK, problem solved.
I found Microsoft has virtual images of their OSs available for testing Internet Explorer, so I could download XP and install Quickbooks on that.