Program formerly ran with Wine on same computer now it won't

Questions about Wine on Linux
villandra
Level 2
Level 2

Program formerly ran with Wine on same computer now it won't

Post by villandra »

This is a repost. I just realized I was an hour off with how long I had to get to work... I've got another hour. I'm counting on the moderator to post just this one.

I have successfully installed and run Rootsmagic 7 on both my Dell computer and my Gigabyte computer, no problems, no need to add dlls (which seems outright odd when you see the error I'm now getting and the size of the dlls that Wine installed -seems like if it needs the gdi dlls it ain't getting them from WINE, but pasting in my own didn't help).

Because I had another Linux install on the disk I decided I don't want I reinstalled Ubuntu using the whole disk. I installed a whole bunch of stuff and lastly Wine and Playonlinux.

I have now done a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04 and installed the minimal things to get the computer functional; the gnome desktop (Unity crashes, which is a common problem with Unity, and it wouldn't work properly when Rootsmagic was working properly before I reinstalled the system.) I also installed java and a couple of essential utilities and libraries - nothing that wasn't installed on the former system. No Python or C IDEs or anything that might have interfered God knows how.

Then I installed Rootsmagic and it crashed again with the same error messages.

It does not matter whether I install the version of Rootsmagic on my install CD or the version I just downloaded from the web site, which may be more current. The version I am currently trying it with is on the install CD, 7.0.1.0 .

I installed Rootsmagic using Wine. It immediately crashed with a GDI+ (Code: 1) error - same as it was doing on the former install. (When I tried it with playonlinux the only difference was I got a GDI+ (Code: 2) error.)

It had installed in Windows XP mode. I uninstalled Rootsmagic and reinstalled it in Windows 7 mode. Same error, identical output. Same dlls that appear to have almost nil content.

Before the current fresh reinstall, I tried copying and pasting in the system GDI dlls (and an exe) from my working Windows 7 computer; it didn't help. It did not paste GDI.EXE over gdi.exe or vice versa, so gdi.exe/GDI.EXE was not replaced, and my version, though small, is significantly larger, which implies it has actual contents. gdiplus.dll was loaded among the modules with its 2 kb of contents (what's that, two letters?)

An awful lot of the dlls in Wine are empty files. Maybe they're supposed to make the system THINK they're there, while a completely different Linux process takes place? On the other hand, my typing program software crashes for want of several very specific dlls which are allegedly there, and when I replace the dummy dlls that are there with actual (or in some cases much larger) dlls with the same names from my Windows 7 computer, the typing programs run.

I ran Rootsmagic from the terminal per your instructions on the Wine HQ web site. Only three lines of output appeared in the terminal - and then the terminal process hung. It opened a GUI with the rest of the information.

I don't have screen capture software on this computer yet, so I hand typed all of the information below. It includes the three lines of text that appeared in the command line terminal, the error that popped up, and all relevant looking information from the GUI that it said to look at for more information. That shows what error occurred, at what point it occurred and what was running at the time, as well as information about my system.

I have a Dell Optiplex 745, with what was labeled a Core Duo processor; it says it's a Pentium 4 which ain't the same thing. It runs far better than a Pentium 4 would; more with the speed of a dual core. System monitor shows 2 CPUs running. 32 bit system on a 64 bit computer. 2.4Ghz. 4 Gigabytes of RAM of which the system sees 3977. It HAD a 6 GB swap partition and now it has whatever the system gives it as I didn't make any partitions.

It says it is running a Video Card X11 Windowing System (driver) at 96 dpi. I don't yet have any utilities installed that would give me more information.

Winetricks has some kind of "dpi workaround"; I tried it by installing wine tricks' dpi files, and it didn't make any difference. Same crash, same errors.

fixme:wtsapi:WTSRegisterSessionNotification Stub 0x10086 0x00000000 (not sure how many 0s)
err:win:DefWindowProcA called for other process windw 0x2003a
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x20ada98, 0x00000000), stub! (not sure how many 0s)

opened window, Error occurred.

The application has encountered a problem. ...

Invalid operation in GDI+ (Code 1)
To see what data the error report contains, click here

Address 0063839 or 0062829
Module Name RootsMagic.exe - (RootsMagic ...
Module Version 7.0.1.0
type EdxGdipException
Message Invalid operation in GDI+ (Code: 1)
ID DP40 or DF40
Count 1

ID dora

Active Controls Form Class #32769

memory 3977

Intel R Pentum R 4 CPU 2.4 Ghz (understand dual core)

Display mode 1280 x 1040 32 bit
display 96
Video Card X11 Windowing System (driver)

OS Microsoft Windows XP
Build 2600 Service Pack 3
Charset 0

Cal Stack

Exception 00638939 RootsMagic.e..
0159C77C RootsMagic.e.. NativeXml3.pas Initialization 6447[9]
015A7930 RootsMagic.e rootsmagic.dpr line 60a(0)

Modules KERNEL.32.dll
gdiplus.dll 2kb
wtsapi32.dll 1 Kb

msimg32.dll 1kg

Processes Rootsmagic exe, services.exe, winedevice.exe, plugplay.exe, explorer.exe (Wine Explorer)

Assembler

00638921 ret
00638922 mov eax, eax
00638924 push ebx
006388925 mov ebx, eax
00638929 js +$13
0063892B mov ecs. ebx
0063892D mov dl, $01
0063892F or P mov eax, dword ptr [EdxGdiException]
00638934 or 24 call +$00000007 (not sure how many 0s)
00638939 or 29 call -$00230322 ; <-- EXCEPTION
0063893E pop ebx
0063892P or F ret
olivierfrdierick
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Program formerly ran with Wine on same computer now it w

Post by olivierfrdierick »

The size of the built-in DLLs you have is the same as mine. They are expected to be smaller than native DLLs.

How did you install wine? If you installed from the package manager then you also have to install whatever wine was compiled for. A minimal setup might be lacking some things. Better compile the latest development version yourself from GIT (which is 1.7.38 at this time).

To test if your wine is functionnal, try those commands:

Code: Select all

$ wine --version

$ winecfg

$ wine notepad
At least, there should be no errors when running the above command.

Wine doesn't work with native GDI. If you copied gdi.dll from a windows install you messed your wineprefix. Better delete it and try again from scratch.

Also, according to the AppDB entry of RootsMagic 6.x, installing gdiplus through winetricks works around the code 1 gdi+ error.
The command to install it (to the default wineprefix) is simply:

$ winetricks gdiplus
You don't have to copy those dlls or files manually.

Link: WineHQ - RootsMagic 6.x, WineHQ Bugzilla - Bug 34197 - Rootmagic 6 Invalid operation GDI+ (Code 1)