Open encrypted USB flash drive in wine? (LOCKV240.EXE)

Questions about Wine on Linux
JohnCorrea

Open encrypted USB flash drive in wine? (LOCKV240.EXE)

Post by JohnCorrea »

Yesterday, started to try Wine on Linux Mint 17.1.

Needed to copy some files from a backup that I have on a USB stick (Toshiba), with some data encrypted with the LOCV240.EXE program (locaated in the USB stick).

When I right-click LOCKV240.EXE and select: 'Open with wine windows program loader' I get a message saying: "Please insert the device or run this utility as privileged user."

From the message below, seems to be that this is not possible... :(

http://askubuntu.com/questions/418692/h ... ve-in-wine

"You can't unless you can find a linux clone of that software:
  • Wine doesn't support usb passthrough(or other device passthrough).
    Wine has no concept of admin priviledges, so things written to assert running as admin fail.
You should be able to do it with virtualbox with usb passthrough and extensions for full highspeed usb support."

Is this still the case?? :(
dimesio

Re: Open encrypted USB flash drive in wine? (LOCKV240.EXE)

Post by dimesio »

Wine runs apps with Windows admin privileges (which are not the same as sudo/root), so I doubt that is the problem here.

If the flash drive is mounted as a standard USB storage device in the host system, Wine should be able to access it, but if the device requires Windows hardware drivers, it won't work in Wine.
JohnCorrea

Post by JohnCorrea »

Dear Dimesio,
Mny thanks for your prompt help :)

I can "mount" easily the USB stick (Toshiba) on my Linux Mint 17.1 .
There are two "partitions" in the stick: "PUBLIC" and "SECRET".

When I mount the USB stick in Linux, I can read all files and copy some of them into the Linux ~/downloads.
One of the files in this PUBLIC partition, is the 'LOCKV240.EXE" which I was hoping to run under WINE. This is the program that "unlocks" the SECRET partition with a passphrase. Should be a very simple program. In fact the "error message" is displayed on the normal LOCJV240 kind of UI... :(

A pity... I was hoping for Wine to do this one, when it seems to do very very complex things!
Since a week got rid of Windows (8.1) completely -- fed up with it! :D
Kindest regards,
JohnC - very newbie to wine.
JohnCorrea

Post by JohnCorrea »

Dear Dimesio,
Thanks for you kind reply.

I am able to "mount" the USB stick on Linux Mint 17.1. It shows the "PUBLIC" partition.
There is also a "SECRET" partition, protected by the LOCKV240.EXE program passphrase.
I can copy w/o problems the LOCKV240.EXE into my Linux downloads folder and even execute it. There are other files which I successfuly copied.

But I am unable to unlock the "SECRET" partition which requires that LOCKV240 to run completely --and where I was hoping that it won't be the slightest issue for WINE (which seems to run very complex programs!).

I decided to get rid of Windows but noticed that some very small things might be needed.
Kindest regards, JohnC
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

If the SECRET partition can't be mounted in the host, there is no chance of Wine accessing it.