Adobe Lightroom 5.7 workaround - Linux Mint 17 / Wine 1.7.11

Questions about Wine on Linux
Fear-Tèarmuinn Laoch

Adobe Lightroom 5.7 workaround - Linux Mint 17 / Wine 1.7.11

Post by Fear-Tèarmuinn Laoch »

Spending the last 2 days of downtime hours at home on my Linux mint 17 mate (Quiana) laptop (Dell, bios wont update hence windows 7 won't install, refuse to use Vista, sticking with Linux only, on it.) A looming project is hovering over me of a massive photo scan quick edit and upload to picassa for a client. My main desktop elsewhere runs lightroom 5.7 fine being that its windows 7 ultimate. I tried the recipes in Bugzilla that were mostly for lightroom 5.3 and 5.5. Every time I re-installed 5.7 into wine after installing gecko and mono then doing the winetricks switch to winxp and installing windowscodecs, gdiplus,etc. from the recipes on bugz. I still received the Kernel32.dll failure and Lightroom would crash wine. (Never got to the serial# entry screen!) After doing the compiling for wine 1.7.33 after a wine update to 1.7.34, the patches on Bugzilla I dl-ed and compiled into wine 1.7.34 came back at me with numerous failures and errors. I was just about to give up and install Darktable. (After all, the photo project requires to upload to picassa as it is and Adobe wants $15 for the plugin but its free on Darktable.) Go figure, two days pulling my hair out and I should have gone with the open source less tools packed program to begin with. Adobe Photoshop cs6 installs like a dream on wine without winetricks modification in Quiana.

One last ditch effort: Play On Linux (relies on wine and winehq)
1. open play on linux
2. go to install a program
3. click the Patches tab (far right)
4. Search "Lightroom" (Adobe lightroom 5.4 patch shows up as the only one in pol list)
5. install the patch, it will ask for the location of the .exe file (I was on 32 bit, i chose the setup32.exe file from my dvd in drive, or where ever you stored your setup file folder, navigate there in POL, if your 64 bit chose that setup64.exe)
6. POL will automatically download wine 1.7.11 to the list of wine installations (i had a wine 1.5.x for a game already in the list, you are merely adding a wine version POL thinks is best to run Lightroom from the patch file in POL Patches)
7. once the 1.7.11 version is installed, POL will continue the installation of items it needs and its automatic unless you incur errors, as I did later. It will install Gecko and Mono, and the versions it knows works in 1.7.11 with the patch file for Lightroom.
8. POL will install IE6 and the codec files it needs, just run through installation and accept all and click next when prompted in wine.
9. If you get errors "try again" after 5 or six failed attempts esp. with WM9codex.exe, move on (click no). (I was experimenting, but found POL doesn't need all of the codecs POL was insisting on.) It will continue to install codec files individually it thinks it needs. (i figured later that perhaps my POL was not updated to the latest version, hence my errors)
10. Once all of the necessary items for the virtual Lightroom54 profile are complete, it will open the program and start your license and registration process. do all those things and enjoy Lightroom 5.7 in wine 1.7.11
11. (Your call, but I went back into the lightroom54 prefix in POL and selected configure wine, then graphics tab, and made sure to uncheck "run as windows emulator", that way Lightroom opens as a window in your Linux desktop, instead of pasted on wine's emulator mock desktop of windows)
12. (The installation will make a desktop icon as well as an.ink file on your desktop, I ended up burying that .Ink back in the c:\programfiles\lightroom54... file folder, as there is already the correct icon to the POL run command on the desktop, automatically placed there by POL.

Result was great! Develop mode works flawlessly considering the age of the laptop and running 4 gigs on memory maxed out and the worst graphics a laptop can have for its age. The menu fonts were 85% crisp. (font installations may help it). There was a little bit of menu-font "trimming" on the left side of interior program (completely legible), but considering not being able to use the functions esp. develop mode capabilities in the program (older versions are reported as develop mode is useless in Linux), I can't complain, it works without crashing on a heavy import or export and "develop mode" job.

PM me with questions and I will do my best. My knowledge only extends, as far as, patch compiling into its wine version (Bugzilla attachments), winetricks items needed, and this last POL installation that took much of the hair-pulling manual installation into the hands of the POL, Lightroom 5.4, patch.

Cheers!

Tèarmuinn Laoch
olivierfrdierick
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Adobe Lightroom 5.7 workaround - Linux Mint 17 / Wine 1.

Post by olivierfrdierick »

If POL can do it, plain Wine can do it too.
It is just a matter of knowing what the POL script does and doing the same by hand on a plain Wine install.
If someone get it working with current Wine, he/she should update the AppDB entry with the working procedure.
Thanks for sharing.
Fear-Tèarmuinn Laoch

Post by Fear-Tèarmuinn Laoch »

Agreed!

However, it just takes time to sit down and screen shot the items and go through the install again on POL and then go update the recipe to what versions of what files POL used for the 5.4 patch working with Lightroom 5.7, as well as look through the script for needed items. If someone else want's to do that, great, for now, I don't have the freetime to do it at the moment...but we do know it can be done for 5.7 in POL with patch 5.4. Perhaps, one of these days when I do have the time, I can work on updating the 5.7 Wine and Winetricks way from the POL script and screenshot collection, from another mock install.

Cheers!
bsiro67

Post by bsiro67 »

Does it run in 1:1 view mode? When I tried it some month ago, in the 1:1 mode the image was blury. No matter what image I had been working on.
Bohemus

Post by Bohemus »

I just installed LR 5.7 using POL running under Manjaro. Installed with no issues. Using LR resulted in the previously documented "Greyt Box" issue and not being able to see the image in develop mode. I copied the sRGB color profile from Raw Therapee over to the LR installation, and that immediately fixed the issue. Under Manjaro, I found LR was finicky in the directory structures and names when trying to export JPG's. I kept getting errors about file names containing -,; etc..

Going to try running under Xubuntu, I expect better results under that distro.