Wow / Wod on linux ubuntu 14.4

Questions about Wine on Linux
jinxed4life6

Wow / Wod on linux ubuntu 14.4

Post by jinxed4life6 »

hello, i am new to linux, and well i love it so far, last thing was installing wow, and it unstalled following old insturction online perfectly after installing the latest version of wine, and the day i did it, wow came out with a new patch, so i just chopped it up to that.
it would let me make a character, and think i am entering the world, even play the movie first, since i opened a new account. but once the bar was completely loaded to enter the world, it would freeze / crash. i found a bunch of things people do to fix this but some good info to have it i only have a 32bit system, so downloading that version doesn't help. i have completely uninstalled everything and retried with newer instructions but they didnt go into detail about opengl and i have no clue what to do about that, googled and didnt find much from this year. please help, ive been trying for days, my other laptop is broken, and i have no other ways of playing. THANK YOU for any help, id really appreciate if you cant help, if someone can point me in the direction for help from this year.
olivierfrdierick
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Wow / Wod on linux ubuntu 14.4

Post by olivierfrdierick »

I've installed World of Warcraft a few days ago to test with a free discovery account.

Computer config:
Wine 1.7.37-98 32bit (compiled from git)
Debian Wheezy 64bit.
NVidia proprietary driver version 346.35

Install:
Clean 32bit wineprefix.
winecfg: Wine desktop set to screen resolution, no other change.
winetricks: none.
The Battle.net installer ran with no issues. I could create a new account.
The World of Warcraft installer ran with no issues too.
Had to let download run overnight and completed with no issues.
Battle.net updated the game with no issues.

Launch:
I got two issue that I worked around by following the advice found on the AppDB entry of Battle.net and World of Warcraft.
1. Launching Battle.net from the executable found in Program Files/Battle.net ends up stuck at connecting.
:arrow: Launching Battle.net from the installer works around this.

Code: Select all

$ wine Battle.net-Setup-frFR.exe
2. Launching the game from Battle.net ends up stuck at the game login screen.
:arrow: Launch WoW directly from the command line with:

Code: Select all

$ LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 wine Wow.exe -opengl
(from the Program Files/World of Warcraft directory.)

Thus, Battle.net is only useful for checking and updating.

Note: The game videos don't show right.
The sound plays but all the screen is bright green.
I could skip them by hitting escape.
I did not try to fix this yet as this is not needed to play the game.
Edit: Setting the game to DirectX 9 mode may work around this, but I didn't test it.

Links: WineHQ - Battle.net, WineHQ - World of Warcraft