Installed exe but cannot run

Questions about Wine on Linux
tenlbham

Installed exe but cannot run

Post by tenlbham »

Hello all, I just installed Zorin OS on an old laptop that was running Vista and I'm fairly new to Linux, Wine, etc. I'm trying to install an executable, Xedit.exe from http://digitech.com/en-US/softwares/x-edit-v270-windows

I downloaded it and did a right-click on the intallation file and selected "Open with Wine Windows Program Loader" and it ran through the installation sequence. I can see the installed files in Home/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/DigiTech/X-Edit, including the application exe file, but when I click on it, I get a spinning wheel icon for several seconds and then nothing happens.

The application is not showing up in the Wine / Programs menu. I thought I was following the user guides and instructions properly but I feel like since I'm new to all of this, there's something I'm missing. Can anyone please help?

Thanks!
olivierfrdierick
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Installed exe but cannot run

Post by olivierfrdierick »

Does launching from the command line makes any difference?

FAQ: 6.4. How should I start Windows programs from the command line?
tenlbham

Post by tenlbham »

I did try to run from the command line. That didn't work so I tried reinstalling, this time by running the install exe from the command line, it said it completed the install, and again when I try to run nothing happens. When I run the app exe from the command line, there is a lot of messages starting out with:
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount .....
and several error messages:
err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
I added a screen capture of the terminal window dialog. Not sure how much this helps but I'm at a loss for now.

Thanks
Attachments
Xedit_install_terminal.png
olivierfrdierick
Level 5
Level 5

err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
That error has always be harmless for me.
err:ntdll:rtlpwaitforcriticalsection
err:seh:raise_exception
Those lines, however, mean that the app crashed for some unknown reason.
This requires deeper debugging. You'll have to file a bug report.

Edit: Retry with the Wine 1.7.38 that just got released, before filing a bug report.

Link: WineHQ Bugzilla
tenlbham

Post by tenlbham »

I can't seem to get 1.7.38 installed (run from command line and get error "no suitable flex found," not sure if I should dive into that barrel yet...).

I also got this response from the Digitech community: "I don't believe [Wine] supports USB communication"
The Xedit app I'm trying to run requires the outboard device to be connected via USB... is the above statement true? If so, might explain why the app won't run.
olivierfrdierick
Level 5
Level 5

That's right. Wine has no built-in USB support. There was a project for that but it has not been updated in a long time.

Link: USB - The Official Wine Wiki
tenlbham

Post by tenlbham »

Ok, thanks for the confirmation on that.