Questions about Wine on Linux
LMLM
Level 3
Level 3

Caustic on Debian Wheezy

Post by LMLM »

I am trying to run Caustic, this program here:

http://singlecellsoftware.com/node/5249

I used to use Ubuntu. Caustic did not run out of the box, I had to run 'winetricks vcrun2008', then it ran.

Now I use Debian Wheezy and Caustic wouldn't run. So I ran 'winetricks vcrun2008' and it didn't seem to make any difference. There was a problem with the OPENGL dll.

Googling the issue was no help at all. I discovered by accident a Debian package called libwine-gl that helped a little...

Now Caustic runs, but then it can't play any track. The track loads, but nothing happens when I push the Play button, or try to play any individual instrument. Here is the command line output. It's all I have, I don't have a clue what to do now:

luc[7428-0]/luc> wine /home/audio/caustic/Caustic_31/app/Caustic.exe
fixme:ntdll:find_reg_tz_info Can't find matching timezone information in the registry for bias 180, std (d/m/y): 22/02/2015, dlt (d/m/y): 18/10/2015
err:mmdevapi:DllGetClassObject Driver initialization failed
err:ole:apartment_getclassobject DllGetClassObject returned error 0x80004005
err:ole:create_server class {bcde0395-e52f-467c-8e3d-c4579291692e} not registered
fixme:ole:CoGetClassObject CLSCTX_REMOTE_SERVER not supported
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {bcde0395-e52f-467c-8e3d-c4579291692e} could be created for context 0x17
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {bcde0395-e52f-467c-8e3d-c4579291692e} could be created for context 0x1
err:dsound:get_mmdevenum CoCreateInstance failed: 80004005
err:ole:create_server class {bcde0395-e52f-467c-8e3d-c4579291692e} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {bcde0395-e52f-467c-8e3d-c4579291692e} could be created for context 0x17
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {bcde0395-e52f-467c-8e3d-c4579291692e} could be created for context 0x1
err:winmm:MMDRV_Init CoCreateInstance failed: 80004005
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Caustic on Debian Wheezy

Post by spoon0042 »

If you're using the official packages libwine-gl is from wine version 1.4.1 which is ancient. When you were using ubuntu you were probably using a newer version which may be all that's needed for your program to work. There are newer packaged versions of wine for debian but they probably won't install on stable so you're left with building wine yourself: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#compile_wine
(It's also possible to build the debian packages by getting the patch here if you know how to do that.)

e: I just remembered that things are a bit more complicated if you're running 64-bit. It's mentioned in the faq I linked but here's the direct link: http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOn64bit

e2: and one more thing:
luc[7428-0]/luc> wine /home/audio/caustic/Caustic_31/app/Caustic.exe
it may not matter but that's not the proper way to start a program with wine, either cd to the directory first or use 'wine start' as described here: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-3b297df ... b8edc21619
LMLM
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LMLM »

OK, I'm trying my luck at the hideous task of compiling Linux software from source. I already have an error message, of course:

configure: error: X development files not found. Wine will be built
without X support, which probably isn't what you want. You will need
to install development packages of Xlib/Xfree86 at the very least.

Can someone please tell me what those files are exactly?
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

Yeah, you'll need the dev packages and probably other things. The list of required packages to build the debian package is here. Not all of them are strictly necessary. I'd say you need these:

libxi-dev libxt-dev libxmu-dev libx11-dev libxext-dev libxrandr-dev libxcursor-dev libxrender-dev libxkbfile-dev libxxf86vm-dev libxxf86dga-dev libxinerama-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libxcomposite-dev lzma flex bison gettext sharutils libpng-dev libssl-dev libxml2-dev libgsm1-dev libjpeg-dev libtiff-dev libpcap-dev liblcms2-dev libldap2-dev libxslt1-dev libcups2-dev libgnutls-dev libopenal-dev libdbus-1-dev freeglut3-dev libmpg123-dev libasound2-dev libosmesa6-dev libncurses5-dev libgettextpo-dev libfreetype6-dev libfontconfig1-dev prelink

To build debian packages you'll need the patch and these: debhelper dh-autoreconf dctrl-tools

These can probably be ignored unless you know you need them: oss4-dev unixodbc-dev ocl-icd-opencl-dev
LMLM
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LMLM »

Thanks, but I gave up.

The wine source README file said I needed xlib6g-dev, a package that I could not find on the repositories, but I found it on the Debian archive site, but then I needed other packages that apt-get could not download because of a signature mismatch, then I downloaded them manually and tried to install them with 'dpkg -i' but it failed because xfree86-common_4.1.0-16woody7_all would allegedly clobber a non-empty directory which I didn't want to delete and...

Never mind. I hate compiling source. I will probably get an old computer and install XP on it. That is easier. I wish I could upgrade my Debian installation, but this is a very important production machine and it's the only one I have.

Thank you.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

That README is probably out of date, the package used to be called xlib6g-dev but was split up into the various libx*-dev packages in my post. If you wanted to give it another shot. :)
LMLM
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LMLM »

Thanks, but... that's 90 packages I have to install including the additional dependencies they require. That's very far from simple. Plus a few packages that are absent from the repositories:

ibx11-dev
ibxcursor-dev
ibxext-dev
ibxrandr-dev
libelfg0
libgettextpo-dev
libjpeg-dev
libpng-dev
libtiff-dev

That's plenty of encouragement for giving up, isn't it? I mean, how can even the Wine developers do it?
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

Weird. Those all should be in the stable repository. Some of them are virtual packages though, if you do an 'apt-get install libpng-dev' it will automatically install libpng12-dev for example. I don't know what to tell you otherwise other than it's the kind of thing you only have to get working once and then forget about it for the most part. :)

Also if you're using the debian build scripts it would tell you what packages are still missing, fwiw.
LMLM
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LMLM »

Hi. This thread is a little old, but a new development has come up.

I never tried to compile Wine again after this episode. It always fails, there is a ton of stuff to install, it's too much work. The new thing is that now I have been using jackd. I installed kxstudio or at least most of it. I have been running Cadence, which runs jackdbus and a jack->ALSA bridge. So I used pure ALSA and now I use jackdbus all the time.

So I decided to run Caustic once again for the heck of it and... it plays sounds! However, it plays/works in ridiculously slow motion. The pattern player drags along and the sound plays veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery sloooooooooooowly.

So sound is playable. Is there still hope? What else can I do to attain the correct functionality?
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

I don't know what to tell you really, I downloaded this and it seems to work in wine 1.7.38, the demo sound seems to play fine but I didn't try anything else.

As I see it you can either get comfortable with building wine at least once or wait for the next debian release (which is coming "soon" for some value of "soon") and then you'll be able to install the distrib packages for a while at least.

edit: another option is installing ubuntu in a chroot or vm since it worked on ubuntu at some point.
LMLM
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LMLM »

I have Wine version 1.4.1. I don't think any newer version will ever be released for this version of Debian (Wheezy).

And I don't think I want a newer version. I intend to install Ableton Live soon, and 1.4.1 is reportedly the best version of Wine for it. Newer versions don't run so well, it seems.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

LMLM wrote:I have Wine version 1.4.1. I don't think any newer version will ever be released for this version of Debian (Wheezy).
You are probably right about that.
And I don't think I want a newer version. I intend to install Ableton Live soon, and 1.4.1 is reportedly the best version of Wine for it. Newer versions don't run so well, it seems.
Where did you get that idea? The most recent test report in the AppDB rates it gold for 1.7.34.
LMLM
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LMLM »

dimesio wrote:
LMLM wrote:I have Wine version 1.4.1. I don't think any newer version will ever be released for this version of Debian (Wheezy).
You are probably right about that.
Where did you get that idea? The most recent test report in the AppDB rates it gold for 1.7.34.
Version 8 is rated Platinum on Wine 1.4.1 and 9 is rated Gold on 1.7.34.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... n&iId=2113

Platinum is better than Gold, isn't it?

Ableton 8 is the one I have anyway.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

LMLM wrote: Version 8 is rated Platinum on Wine 1.4.1
The most recent test report is for 1.4-rc5, not 1.4.1; that just means no one has tested it since then. It doesn't mean that version will be any better than current Wine.
LMLM
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LMLM »

I recently moved to 64-bit Debian Jessie and tried running Caustic again. I still have problems. It runs, but won't play any sound. There is this output on the command line:

ALSA lib dlmisc.c:252:(snd1_dlobj_cache_get) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_jack.so

It's printed twice, plus nothing else.

I googled, but can't seem to find anything useful.

Any ideas?