Renesas HEW v4 installion fails

Questions about Wine on Linux
DanielF

Renesas HEW v4 installion fails

Post by DanielF »

I've just built a new PC and decided to try Linux, after using Windoze for 28 years! But there are a few Windoze programs I need to run for various projects I undertake, as there is no equivalent Linux software that is compatible with my current and historical files created with the Windoze apps. I'm running Linux Mint 17.1 on an MSI Z87-G43 motherboard with an i5-4690 CPU, 16GB RAM, on-board video.

One of those applications is a "High-performance Embedded Workshop" (HEW), a cross-compiler and development environment for the brand of microcontrollers I mostly use (Renesas). So I tried to install a version of HEW that I previously ran under Windoze 2000 Pro SP4, but received the attached error less than a second after I started the installation (from the terminal). There were no terminal error messages.
Wine error msg from HEW4 installation.
Wine error msg from HEW4 installation.
I don't understand exactly what the error means; can somebody explain it to me and, more importantly, tell me how I might get around this installation failure? Thanks.

Daniel
(Gerroa, Australia)
dimesio

Re: Renesas HEW v4 installion fails

Post by dimesio »

So I tried to install a version of HEW that I previously ran under Windoze 2000 Pro SP4
Does that version run under real XP? Have you tried setting the Windows version in winecfg to Windows 2000? (That option is only available in 32 bit wineprefixes; if you are on a 64 bit system, you will have to explicitly create it.)
There were no terminal error messages.
Do you mean there were no messages in the terminal at all, or just that there were none explicitly marked as errors? If the former, post whatever was in the terminal, including the command used to run the installer.

You didn't mention what Wine version you're using. If it's not the latest development release, upgrade.
DanielF

Post by DanielF »

I am running a 64-bit version of Linux Mint. I ran winecfg, which wanted Gecko installed, so I installed that through the Software Manager. Then in winecfg I added hewv40700u_full.exe as an application, and set its Windows version as 2000. I have no idea if it runs under XP, as I don't have that Windoze version.

I then tried again to run hewv40700u_full.exe, but got a similar error message box, as shown here:
HEW installation error2
HEW installation error2
WineHEWerror2.png (13.03 KiB) Viewed 2688 times
Here's the terminal output:

Code: Select all

PC2015 daniel # wine /home/daniel/Downloads/Software/hewv40700u_full.exe
PC2015 daniel # 
(After clicking OK in the error dialogue box, there was a long pause (maybe 20-30 seconds) during which the terminal cursor (on a blank line below the initial command) blinked, then stopped blinking, then finally the terminal prompt reappeared on that line.

wine-1.6.2, and my Software Manager reports it as being up to date.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

DanielF wrote: Here's the terminal output:

PC2015 daniel # wine /home/daniel/Downloads/Software/hewv40700u_full.exe
PC2015 daniel # 
First, never run Wine as root. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#run_as_root
Second, that's not the correct way to run apps from a terminal. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#run_from_terminal
wine-1.6.2, and my Software Manager reports it as being up to date.
That version is over a year old. The current development release is 1.7.36. Upgrade, and retest in a fresh wineprefix as a normal user. If the problem persists, file a bug.
DanielF

Post by DanielF »

OK, thanks for your reply. But I think my 'flirtation' with Linux has come to an end. I was hoping that Linux would be a viable alternative to installing Windoze on my brand new PC, but I've been struggling since Monday trying to get it to fully work, with only limited success. I tried to install the unstable Wine version you mentioned, but it failed, complaining about missing dependencies, without offering to find and install them for me, so I gave up.

I've decided to buy a copy of Windoze 7 Pro instead. I expect that too will cause a few problems with some of my old hardware and software, but after 28 years of using Windoze, I expect to be able to solve them a lot more easily than with complex and clumsy Linux.

But thanks again for trying to help.

Daniel
kbuehler

Post by kbuehler »

I am also struggling to get HEW 4 running on an ubuntu 14.04.

Installation worked without any problem for me. I used a fresh new HEW (Version 4.09.01.007) downloaded from Renesas.
Remeber that HEW is based on Visual Studio IDE. Early Visual Studio versions required InternetExplorer to be installed. They checked this dependency beacuse they used IE Engine to diplay help and documentation. This was so for some time even after MS$ had been sentenced to unbundle Windows from IE.

So far with the good news. The bad news is, that HEW IDE runs, but the toolchains do not work.
It seems to be a problem with case sensitivity and blanks in pathnames. It seems to me as if HEW starts a commandline based builder that in turn calls conspawn.exe. It wants to spawn a new console process for the compiler, i assume. That results in

Command Line :
C:\program files\renesas\hew\tools\renesas\nc30wa\v600r00\bin\nc30.exe
 @"Z:\home\bt0200\RenesasWorkSpace\StepCtrl\StepCtrl\Debug\StepCtrl.m16cc"
    -lang=c
    -c
    -finfo
    -dir "Z:\home\bt0200\RenesasWorkSpace\StepCtrl\StepCtrl\Debug"
    -silent
    -R8C
    "Z:\home\bt0200\RenesasWorkSpace\StepCtrl\StepCtrl\StepCtrl.c"

Phase Launch Error - Cannot find file 'c:\program files\renesas\hew\conspawn.exe'
Build Stopped - Fatal Error
0 Errors, 0 Warnings
I have no idea how to work around that problem.

The code itself has been successfully compiled under WINXP and runs on a R8C/13.
As you, I just want to migrate to Linux -- completely.

Unfortunately, KPIT-Eclipse does not provide a toolchain integration for the GNU M16C toolchain. I was trying to integrate this toolchain, but the java sources are missing in the KPIT plugins.

So as a last resort, it seems the only thing is the "old style" makefile build in the moment. At least the Gnu toolchain works. For other Renesas processors, KPIT-Eclipse may be an alternative.