How to run Lunar Occultation Software on Wine?

Questions about Wine on Linux
Bamm
Level 4
Level 4

How to run Lunar Occultation Software on Wine?

Post by Bamm »

I am trying to run Occult v4.1.1, a program to predict Lunar occultations. It is available as a free download here:
http://www.lunar-occultations.com/iota/occult4.htm

The program uses .Net framework 2.0. I am running Wine 1.6.2 on Trusty. I installed the wine-mono0.0.8 package from apt-get. I thought this would install the mono needed to run dotnet2.0. I ran the command "wine Occult.exe" from the Occult.exe folder and got the following:
fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"configSections" in state 1
fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"sectionGroup" in state 3
fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"section" in state 3
fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"userSettings" in state 1
fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"Occult.Properties.Settings" in state 3
fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"setting" in state 3
fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"value" in state 3
fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"setting" in state 3
fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"value" in state 3
wine: Install Mono for Windows to run .NET applications.
So I did as it suggested on the last line and tried to install Mono for Windows. I installed Winetricks, and Winetricks did not have the option to install Mono, only the option to remove the mono package.

So I downloaded the Mono for Windows installer from the mono-project.com website, and installed it into Wine. After that, running "wine Occult.exe" again produced the same error as above. I tried accessing the mono.exe executable directly using the command:

"/home/bamm/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Mono-3.2.3/bin/mono.exe" Occult.exe

And I got the following output:
Unhandled Exception:
System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Windows.Forms.WindowsFormsSynchronizationContext ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Windows.Forms.ThemeEngine ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Windows.Forms.ThemeWin32Classic ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Drawing.KnownColors ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Drawing.GDIPlus ---> System.DllNotFoundException: /tmp/install/lib/libgdiplus.so

at winOccult.Program.Main () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Windows.Forms.WindowsFormsSynchronizationContext ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Windows.Forms.ThemeEngine ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Windows.Forms.ThemeWin32Classic ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Drawing.KnownColors ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Drawing.GDIPlus ---> System.DllNotFoundException: /tmp/install/lib/libgdiplus.so
Any suggestions on how to get this program to run?

Thanks in advance.