The sims 4 and microsoft visual C++ 2013

Questions about Wine on Linux
madluther
Level 2
Level 2

Re: The sims 4 and microsoft visual C++ 2013

Post by madluther »

Technically the appdb entry shouldn't exist as only apps that run on vanilla wine are supposed to be accepted. Additionally the version number of the game listed is way out of date. The current version of the game is 1.5.139.1020.

Steve.
kingoftheturtles

Post by kingoftheturtles »

I've successfully installed Sims 4 this weekend without using staging or compholio patches, just Wine 1.7.44 installed using PlayOnLinux. I installed vcrun2010, vcrun2012 and vcrun2013 components and then ran Setup.exe. It installed Origin and then Sims 4 and then insisted on downloading the update, which failed. I then used a slightly modified version of Steve's bash one-liner (just working around the fact that there were spaces in the filename):

cd $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program\ Files/Origin\ Games/The\ Sims\ 4

find . | grep STAGED | while read f; do mv "${f}" "$(echo ${f} | sed 's/_DiP_STAGED//')"; done

After this it ran fine. My daughter is ecstatic, so thanks everyone!

P.S. re-reading this it sounds like it all went pretty smoothly. I actually went through the whole process about 6 times before I got it to work, with various staging releases, libraries etc.
kingoftheturtles

Post by kingoftheturtles »

I've repeated this process again with 1.7.46. I have to repeat the installation process every time they update The Sims 4 or Origin because the update fails and after that it won't let you go online. I have refined the process a bit so here are the updated instructions:

1. Create a new wineprefix using PlayOnLinux.

2. Using winetricks, install vcrun2010 (change YOUR_PREFIX_NAME):
WINEPREFIX=~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/YOUR_PREFIX_NAME winetricks vcrun2010
You should see a microsoft licence agreement form here. It doesn't seem to matter if the text isn't displayed properly.

3. Install vcrun2012 and vcrun2013. I had to download these from microsoft because PlayOnLinux and winetricks both failed to install them. If you don't agree to a licence agreement for each then it isn't installed properly.

4. Insert Disc 1, start PlayOnLinux and select "Miscellaneous | Run a windows executable" then choose Setup.exe on the DVD. Follow the dialogs to install Origin and The Sims 4.

5. When the installer finishes updating The Sims 4 it will crash and offer to send crash report / restart or exit Origin. Exit origin and run the command to complete the update:
cd ~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/YOUR_PREFIX_NAME/drive_c/Program\ Files/Origin\ Games/The\ Sims\ 4
find . | grep STAGED | while read f; do mv "${f}" "$(echo ${f} | sed 's/_DiP_STAGED//')"; done

6. Start Origin from the "Miscellaneous | Run a windows executable" menu in PlayOnLinux. From the top menu select "Origin | Application Settings" and *disable* the following options:
Origin in game | Origin in game
Advanced | Origin helper

7. Start The Sims 4 from the "Miscellaneous | Run a windows executable" menu in PlayOnLinux. If you want to make a menu shortcut, PlayOnLinux makes this easy in "General | Make a new shortcut from this virtual drive".