FAQ 10.17 deleted WINE

Questions about Wine on Linux
krustybaguette

FAQ 10.17 deleted WINE

Post by krustybaguette »

After running into problems trying to get MS Office (various versions) working under WINE and PlayOnLinux I used winetricks to delete everything in my default wineprefix. This worked well enough to remove all traces of my installed apps, but left me with no WINE item in my start menu.

I discovered in the FAQ 10.17 http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-34c8b5d ... a1aa8fea48 what seems like a solution but when I went to edit the ~/.config/menus/applications.menu I discovered no applications.menu file. I am running Linux Mint with Cinnamon desktop so here's what I found instead of the applications.menu file.
/.config/menus/applications-merged/cinnamon-applicaitons.menu along with multiple variations with the added extension .undo-## starting at .undo-10 and ending at undo-59. I'm guessing that the first one is the active variation and the numbered ones were created every time I tried using right-click/edit menu to fix the problem. I added a folder for wine and all the wine executables from /usr/share/applications but none of the created items in the start menu worked even though they run from /usr.share/applications
Inside the folder applications-merged are files related to my installed WINE programs.

I suspect that if I were to rename one of the numbered undo files as cinnamon-applications.menu
if I got the correct item my wine item in the start menu would be restored, but since I used winetricks to delete everything in my default ./wine prefix I'm thinking that my best course is to do a total removal of all things WINE and start all over again with a fresh install of wine1.7

A blog at Nyutech includes these six steps for complete removal of WINE (http://www.nyutech.com/2009/03/how-to-i ... emove.html)

sudo apt-get remove wine
rm -rf $HOME/.wine
rm -f $HOME/.config/menus/applications-merged/wine*
rm -rf $HOME/.local/share/applications/wine
rm -f $HOME/.local/share/desktop-directories/wine*
rm -f $HOME/.local/share/icons/????_*.xpm

Since I've encountered differences between my file structure and the above I'm wondering if I'll need to alter the various rm - commands. Some seem to remove entire folders and their contents and others I'm not quite sure. e.g. The last command with the ????_*.xpm. In Nautilus /.local/share/icons leads to a folder /hicolor which in turn has 12 folders for different sized icons in .png format. Those icons may be helpful once I get WINE fixed.

Any suggestions are welcome.