How do I update a manual installation of Wine?

Questions about Wine on Linux
TopHatMonkey

How do I update a manual installation of Wine?

Post by TopHatMonkey »

Hello,

I installed wine 1.5.5 manually by downloading the deb files and running gdebi on them through the terminal. This worked for a while however I need to update to a version of wine over 1.7.8. I downloaded the deb files for wine version 1.7.11; those files being wine64-unstable, wine64-dev-tools, libwine-dev-unstable and libwine-unstable. All of these files are for an amd64 cpu. When I attempt to run gdebi on the wine64 file it gives the error warning: not replacing /usr/bin/wine with a link. It also gives that error for other files; msiexec, regedit, wineboot, etc.

If I attempt to run gdebi on the lib wine says that it breaks existing package 'libwine-alsa-unstable' dependency libwine-unstable (= 1.5.5-0.1).

Both errors I assume to be due to the existing wine version being installed.

So my question is how do I remove the current wine so that I may install the updated version, or is there a better way to update wine perhaps? apt-get remove wine does not work as it says wine is not installed - likely because I did not use apt-get to install it. I should note, in-case it is relevant, that my distro is Debian GNU/Linux 7.1 (wheezy).
TopHatMonkey

Re: How do I update a manual installation of Wine?

Post by TopHatMonkey »

After further research I found that you can uninstall wine by using synaptic manager by going to the status section or by using dkpg -r, the latter only works if you know the exact packages that you installed.

Humorously it turns out that 1.7.11 doesn't work on wheezy so there was no real point.