Hebrew Font is messed up

Questions about Wine on Linux
IdoSC
Level 2
Level 2

Hebrew Font is messed up

Post by IdoSC »

Hi guys,

I just formatted my PC and clean-installed Linux Mint 16, along with the latest Software Manager repository version of POL (4.2.1.1). I installed MS Office 2010 using this tool, and it works flawlessly, as far as writing in English is concerned.

The problem starts with my main language; I live in Israel and speak Hebrew, which is RTL. For some reason, the font is all messed up. Here's a sentence in Hebrew written in that installation of Office 2010 using POL:
http://s11.postimg.org/5dat8yapv/Screen ... _41_34.png
This is how it should like (say, on the Windows PC I'm currently writing this post on):
http://s11.postimg.org/577803e83/example.png
What can I do to solve this issue? Thanks in advance!
dimesio

Re: Hebrew Font is messed up

Post by dimesio »

PlayOnLinux is not supported here; this forum is for plain Wine only.

I have read the POL script for installing Office 2010. It does the following things wrong:
1. It uses Wine 1.5.16, which is old and no longer supported. The current development release is 1.7.8.
2. It sets the Windows version to 7, which will trigger bug 29788.
3. It installs native .NET 2.0, msxml6, and urlmon, which are not needed and may cause problems (esp. urlmon).

The first thing you should do is upgrade to the current development release of plain Wine. Make sure you have the necessary fonts installed on your system, and start Office with the proper locale.

There are also some known bugs with Hebrew, so check and see if the problem you are seeing has already been reported.

If the problem you are seeing persists in the current development release of plain Wine, with all the needed fonts installed on your system and Office started with the correct locale, and it does not match an existing bug, file a new one.
IdoSC
Level 2
Level 2

Post by IdoSC »

I'm trying to do what you said, but opening the setup file through standard Wine (1.7.8, without POL) gives me an "Access denied." message.

Edit: Anyways, this is exactly the bug detailed right here: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13092
Seems like it's been going on for 5 years now. Is there any solution on the horizon? Using a native usp10.dll doesn't eliminate the problem completely.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

IdoSC wrote:I'm trying to do what you said, but opening the setup file through standard Wine (1.7.8, without POL) gives me an "Access denied." message.
How are you trying to run it? Follow these instructions for running from a terminal: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-f351523 ... 8da63be66f.
IdoSC
Level 2
Level 2

Post by IdoSC »

Managed to install it. Now I have an interesting problem; when Mint's display language itself is set to Hebrew, Office works perfectly.

When it's set to English, the problems from my original OP occur. I'd rather use Mint in English, I hate having menus and such in Hebrew. What do I do?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

You should be able to keep your system set to English, but override it for Office with the LANG variable. http://wiki.winehq.org/TestingLanguages
IdoSC
Level 2
Level 2

Post by IdoSC »

Tried to open Word with the command "~/.wine-msoffice/drive_c/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office12 $ LANG=he_IL.UTF-8 wine WINWORD.EXE"

An error message comes up saying "IOPL not enabled"
(Office does work when I just open it regularly though)
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Tried to open Word with the command "~/.wine-msoffice/drive_c/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office12 $ LANG=he_IL.UTF-8 wine WINWORD.EXE"
If you literally typed all that in one line at the command line, that obviously won't work. I suspect what you mean is that you changed directory to ~/.wine-msoffice/drive_c/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office12 and ran:

Code: Select all

LANG=he_IL.UTF-8 wine WINWORD.EXE
The problem is that you forgot to specify the WINEPREFIX. When you install to a wineprefix other than the default, you have to specify it whenever you run anything from it.
IdoSC
Level 2
Level 2

Post by IdoSC »

dimesio wrote:
If you literally typed all that in one line at the command line, that obviously won't work. I suspect what you mean is that you changed directory to ~/.wine-msoffice/drive_c/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office12 and ran:

LANG=he_IL.UTF-8 wine WINWORD.EXE
The problem is that you forgot to specify the WINEPREFIX. When you install to a wineprefix other than the default, you have to specify it whenever you run anything from it.
Indeed, I only wrote the command you wrapped in Code tags, after navigating to that proper directory. I just copied the entire line (including the location of my current directory) to avoid the unnecessary assumption that it failed to open because I was at the wrong location or something.

Either way, opening Word with this command

LANG=he_IL.utf-8 WINEPREFIX='/home/ido/.wine-msoffice' WINEARCH='win32' wine WINWORD.EXE
Solves the issue while my Mint's language is set to English. I will obviously try to find a way to make it more convenient, maybe through a shell command file or I'll just have a go at PlayonLinux again since it has a convenient prefix manager and a startup command box I could utilize in this case.

Thank you very much! :) I usually have to "fill in the blanks" and go through a very rough and clunky experience when I'm getting support with anything Linux-related, but you really walked me through this one. It's highly appreciated.
tutor4torah
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tutor4torah »

Hello,
I have a windows pgm in Hebrew which Wine displays the characters as boxes and lines - I live in Israel but my System language is English - I am not a techie so please include even seemingly obvious details if you can. Thanks