Epson scanner to scan via Wine?

Questions about Wine on Linux
touchdry

Epson scanner to scan via Wine?

Post by touchdry »

Hello,
My Epson scanner will only scan through Windows XP (and I only use Linux). So I have loaded wine (which is XP I think ... or bits of it!) because I have been advised that Epson will work through Virtualbox in Windows. So, if I get virtualbox and load it in Wine will it scan? What do I do in order to actually install Virtualbox into Wine?
Thanks
André H.

Re: Epson scanner to scan via Wine?

Post by André H. »

well, i guess the advise was about installing windows in virtualbox on linux, not about installing virtualbox in wine.
wine is not XP
which epson scanner do you have? wine would need native linux drivers for your scanner to work with it AFAIK
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Have you checked for a native Linux driver for your scanner? Epson scanners are pretty well supported in Linux. http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html

Windows hardware drivers don't work in Wine. Wine is supposed to work with the SANE driver, but no one's really tested it, because if someone has a working SANE driver, they don't need Wine for scanning.

VirtualBox is a VM. You would install it, install some version of Windows inside of it, then install your Windows scanner driver inside the Windows running in VirtualBox. It has nothing to do with Wine.
touchdry

Post by touchdry »

OK thanks for those bits of info. So far I'm getting the idea the wine is not the direction I should be taking ... so I'll continue to look into thealso growingly doubtful dask of using vm. Thanks again.
DanKegel

Post by DanKegel »

Wait, which scanner, exactly?

I got my Epson scanner working fine in linux without wine.

(Although, back in 1998 or so, I seem to recall using Wine to run a scanner. Drivers were simpler back then.)
seppolauri

Post by seppolauri »

Hi!

I'm also trying get Epson Scan work in Wine. It works fine in Linux xSane and Gimp, but these programs don't have(or I havn't found it) interface for easy scanning multiple slicies. The program Epson scan works fine in VIrtual box XP, but Virtual box sucks, so I want to use Wine with same program.
I have succeeded to install Epson scan in Wine with no errors, but when I start the program escndv.exe nothing happens. Is there any fine tuning I need to do?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Theoretically scanners are supposed to work in Wine if you have a working SANE driver, but I don't know of anyone who's ever succeeded in doing that, and you're the first person I've encountered who even cared to try. So the only advice I can give you is pretty generic: if you're not using the latest development release of Wine, upgrade, and if it still doesn't work, post terminal output.

If by "scanning multiple slicies" you mean scanning multiple pages to one file, XSane can do that.
seppolauri

Post by seppolauri »

I installed wine-1.7.5-291.2.x86_64 and required wine-32bit-1.7.5-291.2.x86_64, wine-gecko-2.24-1.1.noarch and liblcms2-2-32bit-2.5-2.4.1.x86_64.rpm.

Running Epson Scan show no difference to earlier, maybe I can see 2 new icons while blue windows is flashing.

I'm not sure that Epson Scan uses SANE-drivers and even more problematic if it uses installed Linux drivers(which work fine in Virtual Box and Linux). How do I know that?

I have Epson Perfection V330 Photo, which has film and dia options. Epson Scan-program can scan several dias/filmslicies in one scan automatically and I get them in each own file.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guid ... ure#AEN957.

Note that page has not been updated in years. The one thing I can add to that info is that several years ago one user did report getting a network scanner to work in Wine using the Windows driver and native twain.dll. That's unlikely to work with a USB scanner, but it's fairly easy to try, so you could give it a shot.

As for SANE drivers, the Perfection 330 isn't listed at all on http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-EPSON, but the 300 and 350 are. Both of those require the proprietary driver, so my guess is the 330 probably does too. If that's what you're using, you could try asking for help on whatever support channels exist for it.
André H.

Post by André H. »

Sounds like either the app or the driver is not going through sane, maybe the app uses WIA, which is not supported in Wine yet.
(thanks to Marcus for some of this information)