Any hints for executing 16-bit Windows apps?

Questions about Wine on Linux
VPa

Any hints for executing 16-bit Windows apps?

Post by VPa »

Hi,

As there are problems in running 16-bit applications in WINE under 64-bit Linux (which I have so far not been able to solve with the misc. instructions in thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22568), let's see what else can be done to get 16-bit apps running:

- Is the combination of a 32-bit Linux distro and the current stable version of WINE the best bet?

- Any nice small distro you would recommend for the purpose, the hardware being from the first years of the Windows XP era? (Any non-Linux solutions that I should consider?)

Thanks for any hints, have a nice day! :-)
dimesio

Re: Any hints for executing 16-bit Windows apps?

Post by dimesio »

VPa wrote: As there are problems in running 16-bit applications in WINE under 64-bit Linux (which I have so far not been able to solve with the misc. instructions in thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22568), let's see what else can be done to get 16-bit apps running:
Try this: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-bf26e32 ... a60a433f88
- Is the combination of a 32-bit Linux distro and the current stable version of WINE the best bet?
With a 32 bit distro you'll avoid the problem mentioned in the forum thread and the wiki, but there may still be other problems with the specific apps you are trying to run. As for the Wine version, the stable release is two years old, so unless there are known regressions affecting the apps you are trying to run, the latest development release is a better bet.
grendal74
Level 2
Level 2

Post by grendal74 »

If you are bold enough, try https://manjaro.github.io/ XFCE 32 bit (i686), it should have the latest wine version
VPa

Post by VPa »

Thanks for the tips!

Before seeing the Manjaro suggestion, I picked Lubuntu because it is one of the few distros that can be installed with just a CD (as opposed to DVD) and are nevertheless graphical and easy to use.

Yes, the problem got solved in that the application that I knew had worked before started working again! :D

(Yet another app that I hoped would work didn't... but I guess its problems should be the topic of some future thread.)

With best wishes for you guys,
Vesa
grendal74
Level 2
Level 2

Post by grendal74 »

VPa wrote:Thanks for the tips!

Before seeing the Manjaro suggestion, I picked Lubuntu because it is one of the few distros that can be installed with just a CD (as opposed to DVD) and are nevertheless graphical and easy to use.

Yes, the problem got solved in that the application that I knew had worked before started working again! :D

(Yet another app that I hoped would work didn't... but I guess its problems should be the topic of some future thread.)

With best wishes for you guys,
Vesa
You are welcome :-)