Questions about Wine on Linux
tbgoodrich
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to build 32bit wine in ubuntu 12.10

Post by tbgoodrich »

ok so i've followed the build instructions to the "T" and,
I got to
> "make apt-get work within the chroot" then in the next step....

> I: Base system installed successfully.
> bgood@bgood-Satellite-A305:~$ sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list
> /srv/chroot/precise_i386/etc/apt/
> bgood@bgood-Satellite-A305:~$ schroot -c precise_i386 -u root
> E: precise_i386: Chroot not found
>
> soooooo..... wth? :x

BTW I am just trying to install software that works with my ACTRON OBD code scanner
dimesio

Re: Trying to build 32bit wine in ubuntu 12.10

Post by dimesio »

tbgoodrich wrote: > /srv/chroot/precise_i386/etc/apt/
> bgood@bgood-Satellite-A305:~$ schroot -c precise_i386 -u root
> E: precise_i386: Chroot not found
Assuming you're following the instructions in http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOn64bit, you apparently overlooked the part that says "Replace "precise" with your Ubuntu version."
BTW I am just trying to install software that works with my ACTRON OBD code scanner
Windows hardware drivers do not work in Wine.
tbgoodrich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tbgoodrich »

considering there are many places where the word "precise" appears so a little more specific instructions would be helpful plus it doesn't specify how to write your version of Ubuntu in place of it so how bout an example? anyone?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

When typing the commands, wherever it says precise, type the name of your version instead. If you're not sure what the name of your version is, ask your distro. If you're not sure how to type, enroll in a typing course.
tbgoodrich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tbgoodrich »

i was implying that I was not a pro at manipulating linux(and programs within) to do what I want them to do. Yes I've asked my distro what version that I am running.
bgood@bgood-Satellite-A305:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 12.10
Release: 12.10
Codename: quantal
All that I wanted to know is which of these to use. Sorry if I was aggravated but there's no need for you to get personal. All that I wanted was an answer to a question which everyone seems to be dodging....
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

tbgoodrich wrote: Codename: quantal
tbgoodrich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tbgoodrich »

ok same error....
bgood@bgood-Satellite-A305:~$ schroot -c quantal_i386 -u root
E: quantal_i386: Chroot not found
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Did you redo all the previous steps, substituting quantal for precise? If you did, and it's still not working, ask for help on the Ubuntu forum. The problem you are having is with creating a chroot, which is not a Wine question, and I don't use Ubuntu, so I can't help you with it (a chroot is not needed to compile Wine on my distro).

You could also try the "Manually Linking Libraries Method" described below the chroot method on the wiki page.

Finally, is there a particular reason you want to compile Wine yourself? Most of our Ubuntu users just install the binary package.
tbgoodrich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tbgoodrich »

well I reported a bug and they kept saying that it was a duplicate but no one else is trying to install the software that I am, which makes me think that it's not the same thing. I run Ubuntu 12.10 64bit and the program that I'm trying to install is 32bit. Everyone keeps telling me that I have to build a 32bit wine in order to install and run the software. got any other ideas?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

You can run a 32 bit app in Wine on 64 bit Ubuntu using the distro packages. All the necessary parts are included. For some apps you may need to explicitly create a 32 bit wineprefix using WINEARCH=win32, but the Wine installed by the Ubuntu packages are perfectly capable of doing that.

What was the number of the bug you reported? What determines whether a bug is a duplicate is the underlying issue. The same bug can affect many different apps; the fact that no one else may have mentioned the specific app you are interested in is irrelevant.
tbgoodrich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tbgoodrich »

Ok so I have Crossover and followed these directions...
Create a new winXP bottle

Install the following into the bottle:
Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Redistributable
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable
Microsoft Visual Basic 6 Service Pack 6 runtime

Install the Actron Scanning Suite and change the Destination Folder to C:\Program Files\Actron\

After doing this I have the program running through the bottle, but then when I tried to link the USB port to Serial Port COM1 using....
$ ln -s your-physical-device ~/.cxoffice/bottlename/dosdevices/com1
after watching the usb changes I noticed that when the USB Scanner device was connected both the serial and ttyACM0 appeared. I tried using both of them and tried each individually but did not get any results of the program being able to detect the device. Do you have any suggestions as to what else might help?
tbgoodrich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tbgoodrich »

Sorry forgot to add
this is my bug that I reported originally

[Bug 33289] running into error trying to install actron
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

First, Crossover is not supported here; they have their own support channels.

Regarding the scanner, as I told you in my first reply: Windows hardware drivers do not work in Wine. A scanner must have a working SANE driver to even theoretically be able to work in Wine, and even then, there's been little testing, so I wouldn't expect much.