Install a software throe wine on ntfs partition

Questions about Wine on Linux
Levan
Level 2
Level 2

Install a software throe wine on ntfs partition

Post by Levan »

I have a question I want to install windows software, but I do not have enough space on ext4 partition, so if I install the software on ntfs directory will the software run as it would run on ext/home partition ?? or there will be some limitations ??
dimesio

Re: Install a software throe wine on ntfs partition

Post by dimesio »

It might if you are lucky, but there could be problems, and if you have any problems the first thing you will be told here is to install to a native filesystem.
Levan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Levan »

dimesio wrote:It might if you are lucky, but there could be problems, and if you have any problems the first thing you will be told here is to install to a native filesystem.
So it is a gamble if you will get lucky it will work but native file system is always preferable because it will work best on this right ??

Thank you very much for the answer lets mark this thread as solved
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

Levan there are reasons not to install on NTFS and FAT with wine.

Reason 1. Wine expects file system features that NTFS and FAT drivers under Linux and OS X don't provide. Ok fine if your application does not depend on them.
Reason 2. Most application want registry enteries and can end up causing Windows computers trouble when they are run under windows.

Reason 2 is why its better to use a loopback file formated ext2 or otherwise on a NTFS or FAT disc. Ie if they are in a file like this they cannot be run under windows by mistake.
Levan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Levan »

oiaohm wrote:Levan there are reasons not to install on NTFS and FAT with wine.

Reason 1. Wine expects file system features that NTFS and FAT drivers under Linux and OS X don't provide. Ok fine if your application does not depend on them.
Reason 2. Most application want registry enteries and can end up causing Windows computers trouble when they are run under windows.

Reason 2 is why its better to use a loopback file formated ext2 or otherwise on a NTFS or FAT disc. Ie if they are in a file like this they cannot be run under windows by mistake.
thank you very much for the detailed answer
Simon of Aragon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Simon of Aragon »

I have been running a whole drive on NTFS. I wasn't aware of any "issues" should exist? I have plans (space needed) to move the files off the NTFS drive and format as ext4. The other drive has my OS partition and my other software in a 372.9GB ext4 partition.