Running programs from NTFS partition

Questions about Wine on Linux
Aquarius7373

Running programs from NTFS partition

Post by Aquarius7373 »

Hey, I have Adobe creative suite web premium CS5 installed on my windows side, but I don't want to use windows.. So I'm using Ubuntu 12.10. I installed Wine successfully, but when I try to install the disk, I get an error. So I was wondering if I can copy the files from my windows partition (on an HDD) to my Ubuntu SSD, in the virtual C drive folder, and run from there?

I see Dreamweaver.exe, Fireworks.exe, etc.. But when I choose to open them with Wine, it waits for a few seconds, but then nothing happens.

I really need to use these programs for work, at least until I learn some alternatives. Please help if this is possible.
Thanks!
Nick
dimesio

Re: Running programs from NTFS partition

Post by dimesio »

Running apps from a Windows partition is not supported. wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-878d4f6d1d0654ac8c0806990af095a4a4cafa13

Normally I would tell you to install it in Wine, but unfortunately, none of the Adobe installers after CS2 work due to bug 18070.

The workaround is to copy a Windows install, but it's not enough to copy just the files, you also have to export all the registry entries made by the app (you will have to figure out which ones they are) in Windows and then import them into Wine's registry.
ischou
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Running programs from NTFS partition

Post by ischou »

There are additional complications with asking Wine to work on non-native partitions. You will be at the mercy of how stable your OS support for the non-native file-system. I've experienced various problems with Wine using Wine off FAT and NTFS partitions. Most often is that Wine can read the files from the partition, but can't write them (at all) or can't write them correctly.