Problem installing wine.x86_64

Questions about Wine on Linux
gringo056

Problem installing wine.x86_64

Post by gringo056 »

I am running 64 bit FC17, but every time I try to install wine.x86_64 with all other 64 bit wine files with some noarchs the install immediately tells me I have over 120 dependencies that are all .i686 files. If I install them they screw up other 64 bit updates. Why does 64 bit wine need 32 bit wine as well? That does not make any sense!!

Can someone help me with this problem?
dimesio

Re: Problem installing wine.x86_64

Post by dimesio »

Most Windows programs are 32 bit.

The dependency issue is a packaging issue, and packages are built and maintained by the distros. On a 64 bit distro there should be 32 bit packages that can be installed alongside the 64 bit ones. As to why your package manager isn't finding them, ask on your distro's support forum. It's not a Wine issue.
gringo056

Post by gringo056 »

I am sorry dimesio, perhaps I should have worded things differently, but while I am a reasonably old user I am not a programmer. I just thought someone at winehq might know how I can get around the automatic rpm installation issue since you do offer route that lead to a source install of (more or less) pure wine64.

As is, I took a gamble and tried the source install using "./configure --enable-win64", make, then rooted a make install. All of that worked fine, I suppose, but then I had to use it with run commands. Due to my only user knowledge, I have no idea of how to install apps, tools, and games, etc.., into the source created wine64.

So, I just thought winehq might know how to make an rpm install be forced to only install wine64 (just like the source install does) and not decree that all wine32 is a dependency. I appreciate any and all advice or suggestions. That is why I will also try a Fedora forum, but honestly thought the wine creators would be best for advice.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

You install apps using self-compiled Wine the same way you install apps using Wine from a distro package: just run the installer. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-f351523 ... 8da63be66f

However, if all you have is pure 64 bit Wine you are going to find it unable to run many things. Most Windows programs are 32 bit, and even 64 bit ones may have 32 bit components. So if you are compiling Wine yourself, you should follow the instructions for a WoW64 setup. http://wiki.winehq.org/Wine64

As for rpms, the dependencies are in the spec file created by the distro package maintainers. Fedora has long had full multiarch support, and you are the first person to report 64 bit Wine trying to change the architecture of other packages rather than installing the 32 bit compatibility libraries, so I suspect you are doing something wrong. What, I don't know, because I don't use Fedora. This is a Fedora package manager issue, not a Wine issue.